Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP slow boot,freezing up,very slow you name it it's got it

• Please log in to reply

michman

michman

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
need some serious help on this one. First of all I don't know alot of history on this computer as it belongs to my daughter. She dropped it off for me to look at and it seems to have a variety of problems. problem # 1 It no longer sees the cd/dvd player. It does show an error when booting up"device in the modular system bay cannot be identified it may not be completely inserted or may have some other problem" it then says press the device completely into the bay 2 power of the system or 3 press to continue. I continue and windows xp takes along time to start sometimes the xp logo shows and hangs for along time and will eventually start,other times you get the logo but then a black screen that hangs up to 5 minutes before it goes to the desktop. When it does get to the desktop the mouse sometimes will lock up.
I did run malwarebytes and it removed a pub.bundle.installer.ol virus. I rebooted several times it did remove the virus but the slow boot and irratic xp behavior continues. I went into the cmos and removed the dvd from the startup so it would not look for it. I set the cmos for fast startup to see if that would move it along. It boots a "little" quicker but the slow and erratic windows xp continues. She bought the computer new directly from dell but said no disks came with it.
it is a Dell Inspiron 2200 windows XP with sp3 1.4 ghz 512 mem
Like to breathe some life back into this machine. Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
michman

Firstly welcome to GeekstoGo

In view of this

I did run malwarebytes and it removed a pub.bundle.installer.ol virus

and good as Malwarebytes is, you cannot rely on that or any other one such program to ensure your computer is now clean of all remnants of the malware.

On this site only our specially trained and qualified malware experts may deal with this issue.
Please go to this link

http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Follow carefully the advice in the link please and would you kindly post back on here simply to confirm you have seen this post.
Please be patient, if you create a topic in the Malware forum as they are very busy.

If after you have a clean bill of health from there, then if problems remain, you may most properly resume on this thread here.

What I can tell you is irrespective of the Malware aspect, this computer will of course never perform, in comparison with a more up to date one, as the processor at 1.4Ghz and the ram at only 512Mb are on the lower limit of performance.
That is not to say that you should not still follow the advice and indeed, not to suggest that an improvement cannot be made.
It is only to point out that when comparing speed of performance, you must compare like with like.
A 3Ghz processor with 2Gb ram running XP will always make this computer look extremely slow.

michman

michman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks I will check out the cleaning guide.