Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dial up network drop outs.

• Please log in to reply

wilmsp

wilmsp

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Frequent drops out from my ISP via my dial-up connection since my rural area can't get high speed. I have a year old, Gateway NV53 model laptop with Windows 7. After 6 months it required a new hard drive and has been a nuisance ever since. It has a 4 gig ram and is 64 bit. I have checked with my ISP, Bell Telephone and Gateway dealer. Nobody claims responsiblity or suggestions how to correct the problem. I have lived in this rural location 12 years and had the problem only for the past 6 - 8 months. I do not beleive I am getting interference from anything since I have few neighbors. Is there a setting I have overlooked? Could it be my internal modem? In my Accessories directory there is no listing for communications so I am unable to check the Duplex Value settings as has been suggested in another posting. In a word, Help!!!

Advertisements

wilmsp

wilmsp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Oops. Re my network dial-up dropouts -
Thanks.

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 February 2012 - 12:04 PM.
Removal of email as no assistance is given except in the topic.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It could be.

Here is the driver for your laptops modem
http://global-downlo...TEBOOK&Step2=NV SERIES&Step3=NV53&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G

Try that first

What anti-virus - are you still with the Norton that came with the Gateway

What message is displayed when the service is lost

Next time it dops out go Control Panel Network and sharing centre - click troubleshooter and run that on connections and network adaptors.
Then if you need to please advise the results.

CAN this connection to your ISP via dialup be tested on another computer, then you will have a rather definite idea as to if the problem is your computers settings or indeed the phone line, the ISP etc.

wilmsp

wilmsp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

It could be.

Here is the driver for your laptops modem
http://global-downlo...TEBOOK&Step2=NV SERIES&Step3=NV53&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G

I'm using SuperAntiSpyware. I don't get any message at the time of a drop out, it simply stops and when I check, I find that I have been disconnected. I will try the balance of your very much appreciated suggestions and get back ASAP though it may not be till tomorrow [25th]
[/font]
Thanks..

Try that first

What anti-virus - are you still with the Norton that came with the Gateway

What message is displayed when the service is lost

Next time it dops out go Control Panel Network and sharing centre - click troubleshooter and run that on connections and network adaptors.
Then if you need to please advise the results.

CAN this connection to your ISP via dialup be tested on another computer, then you will have a rather definite idea as to if the problem is your computers settings or indeed the phone line, the ISP etc.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thank you for replying.
Would you just reply please rather than quote the whole of my post.
Please do quote if you wish to highlight something but generally it makes the reply harder to read.

I'm using SuperAntiSpyware

The free edition or the paid for edition and is THAT the ONLY protection, apart from the Firewall

wilmsp

wilmsp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks MacBoatmaster.

It's the free edition of SuperAnti etc. and usually works quite well.

wilmsp.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
With respect you have NOT answered the question

The free edition or the paid for edition and is THAT the ONLY protection, apart from the Firewall

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Frequent drops out from my ISP via my dial-up connection

that's pretty common using dialup...it is directly related to the time of day like right after school lets out and all the heathens little darlings get online saturating the "pipe"
just my two cents worth... :wacko: