Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will these work together

• Please log in to reply

Roobermac

Roobermac

• Pip
  • 3 posts
if i get a ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard will G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 work properly with them? looks to me like they will but wanted to check before i outlay

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Roobermac

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

Check the MBs QVL @ http://www.asrock.co...8 Extreme3 Gen3 ( see the CPU and Memory support list - upper left of the page )and you will notice that the Ram you mention is not listed.

Can I ask why you need 16GB of Ram, what will you be using the computer for?
You can get the best out of Windows7 64-bit with 8GB of Ram ( 2 x 4GB ) sticks and you have plenty of G.Skill options on the QVL that match that criteria.

Hope this helps and let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Roobermac

Roobermac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you very much for your help phil,
im building a gaming pc for my friend, he wants a lot of stuff that is pretty overkill (temp control panels...etc) and i guess considers getting 16 gb now as future proofing as far as i can tell.
heres the kicker, i think he only intends to play swtor.
thanks again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome Roobermac :thumbsup:

The max that is needed for playing the game you mentioned is 2GB as I am sure you are aware.
Dual channel Ram is best purchased and used in matching pairs http://www.newegg.co...10666CL9D-8GBXL is on the MBs QVL, it would be less problematic to purchase a further two sticks of this further down the line and less expensive, at this time the average user and gamer will not benefit from having more than 8GB of Ram, I hope this helps.

Roobermac

Roobermac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
very helpful phil, think ill focus my efforts on talking him back down to 8gb now.
thanks for your time and expertise :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No worries Roobermac and as ever you are welcome :thumbsup:
Give us a shout if we can be of any further assistance.