Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing a boot drive (two drives)

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I installed a new drive on a pc. Later I realized that there were files on the old hard drive that I wanted. Using an external closure to connect the old drive was not successful in that I couldn't see the emails or bookmarks in Firefox. is there a way I can boot to the second drive first just until I can retrieve the information?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
What operating system is on the old drive and what operating system is on the new drive from which the computer is now booting.

What email provider are you using.

If the computer boots to the new drive you should be able to access the old drive, even although it is now an internal drive, just as you would if it WAS an external drive.

Bookmarks
Documents and Settings\ (name of the user) \Application \Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ (name of the profile) bookmarks.html.

Booting from the new drive, open the old drive, find the documents and settings, click the tools tab click folder options click view, click to show hidden files and folders, click apply and ok.
Explore documemts and settings on your user profile, find the folder application and follow as above.
Save the bookmarks.html to a file on the new drive.
OPEN Firefox on the NEW drive, click the File tab -click Import and export and Import from the file you saved from the old drive.

I do not use Firefox any longer but I do not think it will work directly from Import directly without doing as explained, Import from file, will be there on the new Firefox, but I do not think it will find the file on the old drive, but you could try that first.

If you use Yahoo mail for instance the emails will all be there when you open Yahoo on the new drive., without any action from you.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Both pc's have XP SP3. I could access some items on the old drive but when I clicked on the old drive for Firefox and a email programs, it didn't open, just showed all the files that existed for those programs. I finally disconnected the new drive, booted to the old, and saved everything I wanted. Then I reinstalled the new drive and added the bookmarks, emails, etc.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting the reply
I am pleased you sorted it.