Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy diskette seek failure

• Please log in to reply

Perplexed1

Perplexed1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all

I'm trying to fix my husband's PC. The tower could be turned on but the monitor remained black. I opened it up and made sure the components were firmly seated. The CD Rom drive seems a little wobbly but I can now get into the Dell startup screen which I couldn't see before.

I've read the threads about this error message, however, when I go into the Boot Sequence it reads as follows:

Onboard or USB Floppy drive (not present)
Onboard SATA hard drive (Not present)
USB device
1. SATA0-ST3250310AS
2. Onboard or USB CD Rom drive

The PC is a Dell Optiflex 755 series, BIOS revision a08. It's as old as the hills. However, it is just fine for my husband who is something of a luddite and doesn't use it for very much other than browsing and the occasional document creation.

Thanks for your help with this.

Anne

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Hi Perplexed1
Which model 755 is it please http://www.dell.com/...5_techspecs.pdf
Some models have an integrated video chip on the motherboard and some do not, knowing the model type will determine if your MB has this and may help with troubleshooting.
How many sticks of Ram do you have fitted?

Perplexed1

Perplexed1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's a HP-75201 small form factor with 2 GB RAM. It has a separate video card, not integrated.

Since I posted this I have tried some other options from forums etc. This included changing in the BIOS between ATA and AHCI. This didn't seem to make a difference although I can now see the Win XP splash screen briefly before it drops back to the screen for booting in safe mode, which it won't do. It's just an endless loop. I've tried all of the options, safe mode, last known good configuration etc. It just loops back to the screen displaying those options.

Thanks

Perplexed1

Perplexed1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Further to my comment about a non-integrated video card, I know this because when I set the PC up in the workroom to look at it, I used a standard connecting cable for the monitor I intended to use. When I switched the PC on I got a message along the lines of, it had a separate card and I need to plug it into that. I had to use a different cable than the standard 15 pin plug.

Thanks Anne

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Further to my comment about a non-integrated video card, I know this because when I set the PC up in the workroom to look at it, I used a standard connecting cable for the monitor I intended to use. When I switched the PC on I got a message along the lines of, it had a separate card and I need to plug it into that. I had to use a different cable than the standard 15 pin plug.

Thanks Anne

This suggests that your MB has both an integrated video chip plus an add on video card.
Is the MB at the link the same as yours http://www.ebay.co.u...0299#vi-content