Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create a FREE account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you sign in.
Create an Account Login to Account

Factory settings Windows 7professional

• Please log in to reply

technophobe26

technophobe26

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Morning all,

I have a problem with my husband's laptop. We bought 2 at the same time with Windows 7 OS and have the product keys for both. I can only find one disk for re-installation and am not sure if it's his or mine. However, I have tried to use it to completely return to factory settings several times. I have used the F8 key, I have used the F11 key. I get a black screen with boot options which tell me to reboot with the disk in, but I don't get to the screen which allows me to go to the partition of the hard drive etc. I've done this before but can't get to the right screen this time.

a) is it that I'm using the wrong disk i.e. is it a different OS disk per laptop? I kind of thought provided I had the correct product key, it wouldn't matter which Windows 7 installation disk I used.

b)The reason I want to return to factory settings is that when I look at his computer (in settings) he has a C) Drive which is fine, then he has an E) Drive (Recovery apparently) now (was never there before) with a red line (warning me of memory problem) That is to say it says 273MB free of 14.6GB

If someone could tell me either how to get rid of the Recovery E Drive or return laptop to factory settings, either solution would be acceptable.

Thanks a lot for letting me whitter away.