Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google Redirection

• Please log in to reply

sydneyrosexx

sydneyrosexx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have found that every time I try to use Google for a search, when I click the links I am redirected to random "error" pages. Please help.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hi I need advice about IE 8 and google redirect, I don't use the google search, I saw 2 google symbols in the drop down menue at the search area, I was able to delete one but not the other, I guess it's installed by default, was there when I opened IE. I can't remove it, though I set up a different search. Sometimes I get the redirect message, but only on IE, but I don't remember where it sent me. It happened once or twice while searching with my preferred search engine, and twice when I tried to go to the Sandboxie page from that program, though yesterday I could get there sometimes. I read some messages about the redirect virus at this site, and ran TDSSKiller, which found nothing, so I hope I'm not infected. Thank you to all the volunteers here. :)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi blueblue,

Pleasure to be of your assistance. :)

Anytime you have a problem, feel free to start a new topic.

Presently, if you think you might be infected, I'd start HERE. Read the page thoroughly and start a new topic to post your logs HERE.

If you are currently working on a Practice Log you might want to contact your instructor to let him/her know of your situation unless you have a second computer you can use for now to continue with your training while your other computer is checked out by the experts.

Donna :)

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hello, here's what I got when it happened, browser went to the google searach page, I copied the URL, wanna make sure it's the real google site before I panic. Does anyone recognize this? Thanks for all your help. http://www.google.co...&aig=0&reason=1

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Sure do! That's the igoogle customizable homepage. Nothing to fear. You can read more about that HERE. If you click on the little "gear" looking thing in the upper right hand corner and then click on Classic Home it will revert back to the Google search page you recognize. I've attached an image of the "gear" below so you can get an idea of what you are looking for.

Seems some settings my have been inadvertently changed without you realizing it. Are you having other issues? Let us know so we can guide you further. Just want to make sure you are not infected.

Attached Thumbnails

• igoogle gear.JPG

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hi thanks for responding. Other than that problem I dont seem to be infected. I have the browsers in a sandbox, I click a link in the sandbox program to get help, IE opens, tries connecting, then the redirect comes up. When I first got Sandboxie, that didn't happen, but a few hours later, it did. bb

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You're welcome. Honestly, I didn't reinstall my Sandboxie when I reformatted a few months ago otherwise I would experiment a bit to see if I could get the same results. Can't explain why that happened all of a sudden except that this doesn't sound like a redirect. It sounds as if igoogle has been set as your homepage.

Once igoogle comes up type in www.google.com into the search engine area.

You should get this--> https://www.google.c...0l0l0l0l0ll0l0.

What was your former homepage? Try resetting that in your browser to see if it reverts back to the way it was before.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
I really should have insisted that you start a new topic in browsers before carrying on this issue. I'm quite sure that sydneyrosexx is very confused by now with our posts in her/his thread. :blush: :whistling:

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Do you still want me start a new topic? Thanks for your help.  bb

Edited by blueblue, 03 April 2012 - 06:40 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
To respect the Original Poster (OP) and whoever else has posted to this thread who will be notified with an email every time a post is made, yes, I think it would be best to start your own thread and link back to this thread so whoever helps can read the previous posts you and I made. Just right click on the #3 in the upper right hand corner of your first post above and click on Copy Link Location and paste that in the new thread.

I'll keep my eye open for the new thread. :)