Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to compete a fresh reinstall of vista

• Please log in to reply

makihara

makihara

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hello,

I was trying to fix my girlfriends computer for her by completing a reinstall of vista via the recovery partition on her Compaq Presario F500.

I managed to do this fine and so i started to uninstall all the bloatware and do windows updates etc.

However, the computer went into restart and now i'm getting a BSOD very early on OR the computer just turns itself off.

I tried pressing F11 to start a fresh reinstall of vista again but there was an error. I then made a bootable XP cd as a last ditch effort and a BSOD occurred.

Is there anything i can do to try and get this machine working??

Thanks,
James

p.s. have i posted this in the right place?

EDIT>>>>>>>>>>>

Something strange has now happened:

Despite having done nothing to the laptop, I just tried to turn it on again and it now boots to the desktop. Hurray i thought, my girflriend wont hate me.... However, after about 1 minute of being idle it loads a BSOD with the following error codes: 0x0000008E (0x0000001D, 0x8F2806EA, 0X9A5FB948, 0x00000000)

is there any diagnostic things we can run to figure out where the problem is?

thanks,
James

Edited by makihara, 26 February 2012 - 05:51 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A good read on the subject.

http://pcsupport.abo...p0x0000008e.htm

SRX660

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you boot into safe mode...how about safe mode with networking...
does it still crash...if so
run chkdsk /r and run memtest86..

Open the command prompt with administrative privileges by typing cmd in the search box in the Start Menu and right-click cmd.exe in the search results and then select Run as Administrator.
Type chkdsk /r...press enter...this will take a while to run...do not power off the computer while it is working...it may even backup or appear to hang at a certain (%)percent for a hour or so...thats normal...