Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

connect to hub but not internet: internet explorer cannot display the

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi All,

a recent problem has developed with my wife's laptop (Dell Inspiron Mini: Xp and IE). It cannot connect to the internet even though it says it's connected to the BT Home Hub 2.0 (little icon in the tray says: Wireless Network Connection (BTHomeHub2-C442), Speed: 54 mbps, Signal strength: excellent, Status: connected. However, when you open up IE it says 'Internet explorer cannot display the webpage'. The only webpage it can open is the hub's. Packets are being sent and received. She did say that it worked for a bit yesterday then it stopped working. I'm sure she's telling the truth ;-)

It does work fine though if you connect it directly to the hub through an ethernet cable!

My desktop (Acer: vista), which connects through the same hub, works fine on the internet. So the problem is her laptop and its wireless settings I presume. Is that a fair conclusion?

Here are the settings I get off her laptop:

Device: Dell Wireless 1397 Minicard: device is working properly
802.11h+d, Loose 11h
Preferred network: BTHomeHub2-C442 (Automatic)
Network authentification: WPA2-PSK
Data encryption: AES
Connect even if network is not broadcasting
Connect when this network is in range
Advanced: any available network (access point preferred) - I tried access point networks only but this changed nothing
Use windows to configure my wireless network settings
Windows firewall is on
Address type: assigned by DHCP
IP adress:
Subnet mask:
Default gateway:
DHCP server:
DNS server:
I have hit the repair button but nothing changes.
I have switched off windows firewall but that changes nothing as well.

I've just rebooted her laptop again and another little icon has just reappered in the tray (it disappeared earlier). It's 2 little computer screens. If you hover the mouse over it it says "Internet Connection Status, Speed: 4Gbps, Status: connected". This is different to "Wireless Network Connection Status (BTHomeHub2-C442), Speed: 54 mbps, Signal strength: excellent, Status: connected", which is what you get if you hover the mouse over the other icon next to it (single computer screen with 3 little waves coming off it, this is always present in the tray). I've got both their screens up side by side and they look similar but different:

Internet connection status: has 3 little icons Internet, Internet Gateway and My Computer. The difference that I note is the speed is registered as different (4.2 Gbps instead of 54 Mbps on the other screen), also it says it has been connected for over 8 days!! I rebooted the computer 16 mins ago, how can that be? On the other screen (Wireless Network Connection Status) the duration of 16mins confirms this. Am I being paranoid or has my wife's laptop been connected to some ghost internet connection??

Ok, enough with the melodramatic paranoia. If anyone can help me fix this then I'll pay(paypal), not a lot but enough to say thanks for helping. Better than a kick in the teeth right?

Please help me Obiwan, you are my only help.

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
is this still a problem