Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless router setup problems with modem

• Please log in to reply

LeCorbusier

LeCorbusier

• Pip
  • 3 posts
[code=auto:0] :tazz: I have a Westell Wirespeed modem which runs Verizon DSL home service. Using for 2 years standalone, not problems. I've got a Dell Dimension 4300 with ethernet running XP Pro SP2. I am on my 5th wireless router. I can find no where amongst the vendors or service providers to fix my problem. I need someone who can tie it together for me.

Whenever I try to run setup on the router, the IP goes to 0.0.0.0. I also moved modem and router to my 2nd desktop with same exact results. Linksys, Netgear, D-Line, all the same results, so problem must be with modem/router relationship. I was told that I have to diable firewall on modem, then I call Verizon and they say, no this modem has no fire wall. Then someone else tells me that I have to create a bridge between modem and router. I have been trying to get network running for several weeks, it is starting to affect me in very bad ways. I love computers and technology, but this experience is surly testing my faith.

Any suggestions, has anyone been through this experience before and know what my magic bullet is? Because I'll gladly shoot myself with it.

Thanks

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Hello, LeCorubusier

What router are you trying to use now? The model number would be helpful too...

i.e. D-Link DI-713, Netgear FM114P, etc.

Let's try to walk through this one.

LeCorbusier

LeCorbusier

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was trying with the D-Link DI-624M, but when tech support finally got to assign an IP address with me, the screen called then for firmware. The support website did not have any because I was told unit was so new. I was actually told to return this unit and get a differnt model the 624C. I don't really understand that one. In any case, D-Link Engineering was supposed to send to me firmware via email tonight, but it never got to me, so I am nowhere on D-Link now. I picked up a Netgear WGR614 router, and will try with this. Also engineer from D-Link suggested that I try a crossover ethernet cable. I picked one up and will try to use, have nothing to loose.

Thanks.
LeCorbusier

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
I'm not sure why on God's earth you'd need a cross-over cable, but I'm curious how that went....

Let me know if you want to start walking through this or if you've finally put a bullet through the CPU.

LeCorbusier

LeCorbusier

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Believe it or not, I actually got the network connection up and running at 12:15 AM last night. I think that I just had a sting of bad luck, combine with some spotty tech support. In the end, Netgear tech support got the router up with the modem. I reinstalled my adapter setup and I finally go IE working on the remote machine. I still have a ways to go setting up my WPA encryption, and setting up file sharing in XP so that I can move files around (not sure how to do that at this point). You are right, the crossover cable was a spurios offshoot, the cable is already returned to the store. Thanks for the help. I still have a low signal strength (about 35%) although the machines are only 40' apart, although on two different levels, ground and cellar. I have played with antennas and positionig a bit. Any suggestions? or this is about as good as it is going to get, and do I really have to worry if I have only 2 out of 5 bars?

Thanks,
LeCorbusier

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Congrats, man. I've known many people I'd consider very intelligent that have been totally thwarted by the wireless router. 35% does seem a tad low, but if you're happy with the speed then have fun.