Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to boot WIndows 7 properly, even after a fresh install

• Please log in to reply

Chris Manser

Chris Manser

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
So I'm rebuilding later this year. While I wait I decided to just transfer my current computer components into the Fractal case I purchased for the new build, since it's so much quieter. Everything went smooth until I booted up, and got stuck at the "starting windows" screen. I let it sit just to see what would happen, and after about 10 mins I did a manual reset. After the reset, I did a startup repair, the only solution it could find for me was to restore to an earlier point where Windows worked properly, which I did. I noticed immediately that something was just wrong/slow/choppy graphically. I went to YouTube to test video playback, and was getting about .5 FPS. I decided to log into World of Warcraft to test that. I logged in, saw a frozen screen of my character, then it would switch to a black screen, then to another frozen screen of my character, 2 or 3 times, then it would go to desktop. I made sure I had the latest drivers, and restarted. Again it got stuck at the "starting Windows" screen, I had already been through this process several times, and even tried installing earlier versions of the video drivers, so I reset it. This time I chose not to restore to an earlier time and allow the repair utility to run. After about 15 mins of running, it said that it could not repair the issue. I ran the problem details and it said this:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature01 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature03: unknown
Problem Signature04: 83
Problem Signature05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature06: 1
Problem Signature07: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

So here I am thinking, what the [bleep], all I did was take paarts from case A and put it in case B, what could have possibly gone wrong? So for shits and giggles I decided to do a clean install of Windows. In the middle of the new install it ran a chkdsk, but did not find any issues. The install went smooth, I'm thinking I'm in the clear. It does a few updates as normal, at which point I had to restart, which once again I was back to square 1 with being stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen. Once again I reset it, it ran startup repair utility and got me to my desktop. Another update was applied, I had to restart, and again I was stuck. I let the repair utility run it's course again and clicked on details at the end. Everything was successful until the very bottom it said this:

Root cause found:
-----------------------------------------
A patch is preventing the system from starting.

Repair action: System Restore
Result: Cancelled

Repair action: System Restore
Result: Cancelled

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490
Time taken = 350797 ms

I'm at a complete loss. I've never seen anything like this before, nor can I wrap my head around how it could have happened in the 20-30 mins it took me to transfer components from one case to another. If anyone can help out or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

~Chris

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So you moved components from one system to a system that already had a installed OS on it?
:confused:

Chris Manser

Chris Manser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No not at all, I simply swapped cases.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So every component that was on the original build is with the new case?
Do you have the Win7 installation disk and is it a Genuine installation disk or is it a branded version like Dell or HP?

Chris Manser

Chris Manser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Correct, basically I just did a transplant. I do have a genuine Win7 disk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the issue seems to be the Win 7 OS itself that is causing your problem so lets do a Repair Installation by following the steps HERE.
Please read and follow all instructions carefully.

Chris Manser

Chris Manser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just went ahead and followed everything step by step, and I'm still having the issue. If I do a restart from Windows desktop, it will restart fine. However if I do a shutdown, and then power back on, it once again gets stuck at the "starting windows" screen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Same power supply as the old case or a new one?
Are you sure you didn't get a standoff in the wrong place under the motherboard?

Chris Manser

Chris Manser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Power supply is the same, I will double check the standoffs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The other possible scenario is a faulty power switch in the new system.
I reread this topic and I'm just curious and want to check something out.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Advertisements

Chris Manser

Chris Manser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
All the standoffs are in the proper place

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK good that eliminates a possible shortage problem. Please do the hard drive diagnostics and make sure you get the version that is a Dos cd ISO version of your program. I would prefer you test the hard drive outside of the Windows environment.

Chris Manser

Chris Manser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Should I select

Data Lifeguard Tools 11.0 for DOS and Windows (CD) (01.02.2007)
This zip file contains a bootable CD image of the Data Lifeguard v11.0 installation CD which contains both DOS and Windows versions and was written specifically for the installation of Western Digital EIDE hard drives. If your computer system already has a hard drive installed with an operating system of Windows 98SE or greater, you should use the Windows version of Data Lifeguard for best results. The DOS version is required if installing a hard drive in a new system without existing operating system support. If you plan on copying the contents of a boot drive, Western Digital recommends using the DOS version of Data Lifeguard Tools.

- Download Data Lifeguard Tools 11.0 for DOS (CD) (Direct Link | 27.4MB)
- View Additional Information

or

Data Lifeguard Tools 11.0 for DOS (05.15.2006)
This zip file contains a bootable CD image of the Data Lifeguard v11.0 installation CD which contains both DOS and Windows versions and was written specifically for the installation of Western Digital EIDE hard drives. If your computer system already has a hard drive installed with an operating system of Windows 98SE or greater, you should use the Windows version of Data Lifeguard for best results. The DOS version is required if installing a hard drive in a new system without existing operating system support. If you plan on copying the contents of a boot drive, Western Digital recommends using the DOS version of Data Lifeguard Tools.

- Download Data Lifeguard Tools 11.0 for DOS (Direct Link | ZIP | 1.56MB)
- Download Data Lifeguard Tools 11.0 for DOS (Direct Link | EXE | 1.74MB)
- View Additional Information

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You want the second one. I just don't like the windows environment testing as it depends on windows which is what we are trying to stay away from. Just one variable I would rather not have you deal with at this point. :thumbsup:

Chris Manser

Chris Manser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Quick test. And back with no errors, running the extended test now.