Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP startup file misiing

• Please log in to reply

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Use the Malware Forum link provided in Gerry's signature.. You need to get the system cleaned out first okay?? :tazz:

Murray

Advertisements

jgallinzx

jgallinzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK I have device manager up now, i should say that since i did my restore the sound is back. the offending piece of spyware is called euniverse.searchnugget.toolbar

jgallinzx

jgallinzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help so far, im beginning to think there is light at the end of the tunnel :-)

Right, I ran all the cleaning tools, spybot and housecall and everything is / was clear. I remember the problem first after and update to my C Media Audio Driver I downloaded from Windows Update. So the first time when i did a system restore it returned as normal ok. Since running all the "tools" above it was still ok which led me to think that it wasn't spyware at all. When I downloaded the Driver Update from the Windows Update site a second time, all my sound disappeared (including the speaker icon (sound Control) in the bottom right taskbar of desktop. I ran device manager which had a yellow dot on my C Media Sound Card. Troubleshooting gave me nothing but when I rolled back to previous driver version (from before update) it works fine and the above named file is no longer missing. Unless there is any obvious disadvantage to not having the driver update then im thinking - if it ain't broke, dont fix it!!
Any other ideas or comments let me know,

Thanks you all so much again,

Julie x

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

A second lesson to be learned here is NEVER use the hardware updates on the Microsoft Windows update page.. I also learned that the hard way with my video card..

Now, I always go just to the manufacturers website for any new drivers!!

Glad you got it up and running!! :tazz:

Murray

jgallinzx

jgallinzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks very much to murray and gerry for their hard work on this one. I have learnt from this experience and will bear in mind about the drivers updates, and guys, if I ever get stuck again I will be back again :-)

Julie xxx

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You are very welcome Julie !! :tazz:

Murray