Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 under W7-SP1 64 bits / incomplete uni

• Please log in to reply

Gswiss

Gswiss

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I'm running W7-SP1 64 bits and I'm trying to uninstall KIS 2012. ID 1464 article Kaspersky from Tech Support indicates bluntly that the removal tool is inoperative for OS's of 64 bits. (http://support.kaspe...n?qid=208279463).

When trying to remove it using the Kaspersky Uninstall procedure included in the software, the program is still not completely removed, although I ran a registry cleaner just afterwards. What happens after the removal attempt is that no Navigator runs properly (Firefox, Chrome, IE, etc,): every one of them just hangs searching for the Home Page. However, access to the Internet is OK as the mail program works properly.

Would you have any suggestions as to how and go about cleaning up KIS remnants?

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi Gswiss,

See if this page will help. If you didn't use that procedure and just uninstalled it thru the Control Panel you may need to reinstall it and follow the steps on the link above. If you did use that procedure then you will likely need to contact Kaspersky Technical Support.

Also, as a matter of information, registry cleaners don't offer any real benefits and often do real damage. We at GeeksToGo do not recommend the use of any registry cleaners. There are numerous posts here discussing it. If you're interested just type "registry cleaners" in the search box and start reading.

Good luck.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Thank you for your reply. The Kaspersky procedure you suggest is the one I used after having gone though their removal routine. (In between, I restored a backup environment). In both cases, I end up with the same problem.

I tend to agree with you on registry cleaners but I did use jv16 in this particular case and it pinpointed loads of Kaspersky entries hanging around despite the removal processes.

Kaspersky Tech Support was no help. They're very disppointing: in a totally different area, Kaspersky have not updated their Virtual Keyboard feature which doesn't run with the latest versions of Firefox (it's been the case for the past few months).

I'll be trying something else on this W7-64 bit computer within the next few days and will come back to you then.

Edited by Gswiss, 29 February 2012 - 11:21 AM.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Actually, I ran Resplendent Registrar, not jv16.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Actually, it's KIS 2011 which was running on the W7-SP1-64 bits. Neither the removal tool nor the direct Kaspersky uninstall procedure available in the package worked.

In Safe Mode, I finally succeeded in cleaning up the remnants of KIS by running the REVO Uninstaller program which worked perfectly: it first connected to the procedure mentioned above, then went into a registry check up to get rid of loads of entries which had been of overlooked by the Kaspersky uninstall process.

There are other programs which have problems with this SP1 version of W7: PC Tools vers. 6 and 7, for example

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Which PC Tools products are you running? By PC Tools vers. 6 and 7 do you mean you're running both of them at the same time? If they are just different versions of the same program, you only need to be running one of them.

In any event, it is a known problem that when you have an incomplete uninstall of an antivirus program it usually causes problems with the new antivirus you're trying to install and run. I don't see a cleanup tool for PC Tools products listed anywhere. I would suggest uninstalling the PC Tools from the Control Panel, rebooting and then reinstalling the PC Tools product that you want to keep and see if that will resolve the problems.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I installed PC Tools vers. 6 after installing Avast and it blocked the access to Internet. So, I uninstalled it and replaced it with Windows Firewall temporarily. I only heard about vers. 7 creating the same problem without trying it out myself.