Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scroll bar won't hold still.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

drruthless

drruthless

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm here out of desperation
before my Windows goes flying out the window.
I hope that I can describe my problem in a manor that will make sense.
I belong to a web site as a frequent responder that answers questions on various subjects dealing with employment law and the law in general.
Several months ago the site was hacked and they had to switch to another more secure server thats when I began having nothing but problems.

When I type a long response to a post, suddenly the scroll-bar on the right of the post field will rapidly start moving up & down a bunch of times. The mouse or cursor were not involved at all. It's like trying to write on a piece of paper while someone else slides the paper all over the table.

You won't get a scroll bar on the right of the post you're typing unless your post gets long enough to require one. Then the scroll bar, and therefore the whole field you're typing in moves up & down, up & down.

I think the problem I have been experiencing may have something to with my computer (ECS M863, XPPro,Sp3.) when I use my old computer( HP, XP Pro Sp1) I have no problems other than it's slower than the second coming. I can't help but wonder if it doesn't have something to with the change over to a different server. There was another person who has reported having the same problems with their computer at home as well as the at work, so thats three different machines with the problem.
I've brought it to the attention of the site admin. but since it's only affecting the two of us, they don't seem too eager to spend any more money to look in to fixing it.
I recently made a relatively long post here with no problems at all.
I've noticed that there seems to be a direct correlation with the length or word count and when it's likely to start acting up
It's a race to set the cursor and start typing before it disappears out of sight.
I might mention that there is a auto-save function that they've added that comes on about every three minuets or so.
Also I've worked off line at that site and had no problems.

This is what the posting box looks like.
I hope someone can help me resolve this problem.
I'd enjoy nothing better than telling them with your help what the problem was.
Thanks in advance.

..____________________
~ Helping rid the world of stupidity,
…starting with my own.

The prob.gif

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi drruthless ... :wave: ..:welcome:
does it do it in notepad...wordpad or whatever office program you use
if not
that could be your workaround temporarily...just do your typing in notepad then copy and paste
if its at a website where your problem is...try a different web browser and see if that fixes it

drruthless

drruthless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks I'll give that a shot.
FWIW when the word count gets up to around 200 hundred or above, or the caricature count gets over 1000 any movement of the cursor sets the scroll bar off to start jumping around.
But it doesn't happen here, go figure
I'm going to try a different mouse that I got around here somewhere.
Tx, again.

.._________________
~ Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority,
and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that
it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end. ~ unknown

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
about your sig...

:thumbsup:

drruthless

drruthless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm pleased to announce that a solution to my unruly scroll bar problem was found.
I don't have a pocket full of hundred dollar adjectives to explain it properly,
but what it comes down to was the editing modes that were offered on the web site.
Two of them caused the problem and one fixed it, so I went with door number 3, full editing mode.
Now, it's no more like trying to throw a cursor at a moving target!!
To all thanks for your suggestions.

.._______________
~ I may look old, slow,and stupid,
but,
thats part of the plan to lure you in close enough
to have my seeing eye dog bite you while I hit you with my cane..

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for letting us know... :thumbsup: