Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Laptop Screen turns black ...Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

amber0204

amber0204

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Dell Inspiron 1420 is 3yrs old now. At first my laptop would suddenly turn off when it over heat. But it I guess it just a protection from overheating. So I start to avoid using it when it overheats. My problem now is that the screen would start to turn black while I'm using it. Sometimes the screen blinks to a black screen but it's getting worse lately and it takes time again to normalize. I don't know if the screen is damage because I use to overheat it. Even if I've just turned it on and is still in cool condition it would already behave that way. I don't know what to do. Someone advise me to reformat my laptop but I don't want to because it's a lot of hassle to install again everything and I don't know if this is necessary. I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me.

What I tried already is I refuse to use it when it start to heat. I always put it in stable place so there's no way that the lcd would be move. I scan it for viruses because I thought virus is causing it. I check the bios and diagnostic tool and found everything is working ok.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: amber0204
I note from your profile that you are in the Philippines which can be rather hot, consider purchasing a notebook cooler like the examples at this link http://www.newegg.co...&SecondSearch=1
Clean out the inside of the notebook as best you can using canned compressed air, some examples http://www.nextag.co...anszB2z5---html remove whatever covers you can and then direct short blasts of air into openings such as the exhaust vents etc, when done replace the covers you have removed and power up the notebook and see how it goes.
Your user manual http://support.dell....OM/WM391A01.pdf shows you what covers can easily be removed and replaced for basic cleaning.

Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

amber0204

amber0204

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Oh, thank you! I'm going to try your advice. I haven't tried opening my laptop yet. I think my laptop needs cleaning too :)

Edited by amber0204, 03 March 2012 - 07:34 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Ok, keep us posted and shout if you need us.