Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Will Not Boot Up windows/system32/config/system file missing

• Please log in to reply

Skqck

Skqck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
So I have typed in several commands with no problem but after I typed, copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system, I get a message that says, "The system cannot find the file specified," so would you happen to know what might this mean?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The slight delay was whilst I rebooted to Xp - I am on 7.

It means you do not have this folder and that means you cannot go further - the only other scenario is that you typed the cmd wrongly, but I do not think so
I see it as either the folder is missing., as were your restore points.
AND that I see as either the file system is so corrupted that it cannot be found OR you have run some unwanted and dangerous "Make it go faster, tweak this and that" program - some of them are plain dangerous to the health of the computer.

The most likely scenario is extensive file corruption., possibly due to a failing hard drive.

I have sent a screenshot showing the folder that cannot be found
Give me a couple of minutes while I return to 7.

[attachment=56359:untitled.JPG]

Skqck

Skqck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Its okay, take your time. But let me know what choices I have if there are any because I have a trash can outside waiting.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
My post 28.
F11
What choices are offered please.

Skqck

Skqck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Okay so I have system recovery pulled up and there is a box in the middle of the screen that's titled system restore and inside the box says, system restore environment is incomplete! System restore reinstallsthe environment. Then, it has a place for me to click OK so should I click "OK"

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Unfortunately, as I do not now that particular computer or indeed any emachines, I can only go by what I have read and posted for you in my post 28.
There is in what I read no mention of the message you now have.

I really think it is a question of try it and see.
When I asked you to post what was on F11 I was expecting that you may have the three options shown.

Skqck

Skqck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
There are some options to the left of the screen that says, selecting recovery options, dard disk preparation, copying files, changing cd rom, finilizing recovery, time and time remaining, but I'm not able to go into any of these options because of the box I believe. I will click ok in the box and repost the results.

Skqck

Skqck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
So I have clicked ok and now its asking me to please insert System Restore CD/DVD # 1

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1.When the computer first posts and before the error message - watch the post screen carefully and see if there is any message regarding entering recovery.
If so check that it does say F11 - If of course it indicates something else -although I do not expect it to try that

2. Go back to F8 and check that there is no optionbon F8, apart from the usual Safe Mode, LKG, VGA mode, boot logging etc , that indicates system recovery

3. Go back to Recovery console, go to a C prompt and type
D:
If it goes to D:\>
type
dir
what is shown please.

Skqck

Skqck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Its looks like similar information as I described in Post 11. oh, and by the way I didnt see anything in F8 nor anything else regarding F11

Edited by Skqck, 28 February 2012 - 04:43 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK
At the C prompt in RC
type
bootcfg /scan

what does it report please
then type
bootcfg /list

what does it report please

I have been searching various resources and you MAY have some luck with this I have found
4 > in the first part of this document you are given the command:

copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

you may get a "file not found" when running this command. If you do, substitute this command instead:

copy C:\windows\repair\system.bak C:\windows\system32\config\system

So back in the Recovery Console where thopse files for the rebuild of the registry could not be found try them with a
.bak extension.

THERE IS another approach but it requires another working XP computer and the making of another RC Cd with added files from the working computer.

Skqck

Skqck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
bootcfg /scan The results say the windows installation scan was successful and then it says something about the results are stored statically for this session............Lastly,, Total identified windows installs 1

bootcfg /list Total Entries In boot list 3

1, Windows xp media center edition
load options /fastdetect
Location c:\windows

2. Windows xp home
Load options /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
location c:\windows

3. windows xp media center edition
load options /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
location c:\windows

If its ok, I will repost the results from the commands in rc tommorow. So I will speak with you later and again thanks for all the help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes OK

After a lot of searching and having established that emachines no longer supply the disc, as FAR as I am able to say, I have found this
http://www.gennersal...m#Paypal_Option

CAUTION I selected the wrong computer. - that is 8240 you want 6409
You would have to enquire if you were in any way interested I cannot find that exact model
http://www.gennersal...y/emachines.htm
That is the disc referred to when you keyed F11

Please NOTE - I CANNOT VOUCH for the integrity or reputation of the company offering, you must make your own enquiries. It MAYBE the only way YOU will recover.

AND YOU MAY wish to contact emachines although I am reasonably certain I am correct and they no longer supply.

That all said, this WOULD of course be the last resort.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Signing off - goodnight.
Certainly worthwhile trying the bak cmd.

and then when I return we will sort out that boot cfg.

If you post before I am back online about 1800hrs please answer this

THERE IS another approach but it requires another working XP computer and the making of another RC Cd with added files from the working computer.

in case the bak is no use.

Skqck

Skqck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
So it seems as though these recovery disc are specified for each Emachine model? I think I may know someone who has a Emachine computer so I'm wondering if they have a different Emachine model, will their recovery disc work in my computer. Its probably unlikely but I am going to try an see if I can get in touch with them and find out what model they have.