Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Domain Access

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I was wondering if someone could help me with an issue at my Mom's work. They are a non-profit agency specializing in providing a shelter for abused / abandoned children. Since this is a non-profit, I don't see a reason why it would be against the TOU.

I was able to take a look at some of the workstations, but not the server. Their current IT company is clueless and I wanted to try and help because obviously the less money they spend on IT, the more money they have to provide for the children.

The main issue seems to be right after booting up. You log onto the domain and it takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes for you to be able to access the network shares. From what I could gather from the setup, the DHCP server is a Netgear FSV318 and the DNS server is their server. The computer immediately gets an IP address from the DHCP server, and the scrips to map the two (2) drives run right away, but trying to open the shares results in the Network Connection Unavailable message.

She also said that randomly though out the day they will lose connection to the server for no good reason.

All workstations are set to receive IP and DNS server addresses automatically.

You are also unable to ping anything. No response from the server, Google, or anything else. I couldn't even ping Google's DNS server of 8.8.4.4. Oddly enough my Mom's computer, which is the only one running Windows 7 doesn't have this problem. There has to be something setup incorrectly on the server. They are not hosting their own website or email. That is done by a 3rd party company.

My mom's master key wasn't working for the office where the server is, so she is going to have their maintenance department get her a new key so we can get in there. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 27 February 2012 - 01:45 PM.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I ran home at lunch and grabbed some of the printouts I got from the workstations of the error messages. Here they are in no particular order.

The system failed to update and remove pointer (PTR) resource records (RRs) for network adapter with settings:

Adapter Name {003265D8-08B4-4D3B-A4DC-A795E0705981}
Host Name: UMHC22
Adapter-specific Domain Suffix: UMHC.local
DNS Server list: 172.31.14.200

No Domain Controller is available for domain UMHC due to the following: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. Make sure the computer is connected to the network and try again.

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer ADMIN01 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{509200DA-C6C3-4B61-8}. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

The Security System detected an attempted downgrade attack for server DNS/umhc-server.UMHC.local. The failure code from authentication protocol Kerberos was "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. (0xc000005e)

This one was a warning, but it's in there consistently. I know it's just a time sync error, but I wasn't sure since it's a domain and don't know if that makes a difference or not.

The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use as a time source. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes.

Thanks again.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I think I resolved this issue. I specified the DNS server and they are able to get on the server right after the machine boots with no delay. Now I need to resolve their random disconnect issues.