Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Back slash looks like letter W w/line thru it

• Please log in to reply

rwfromkansas

rwfromkansas

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have this weird problem in that a lot of times when I try to type a backslash, it looks like a W with a horizontal line through it.

Now, here is the weird thing. It does not do it when I type online like here. Here the \ works fine. But, in other programs, it does not work correctly when I type it.

It works fine in Microsoft Word, but the most obvious problem is when I try to install a new program or I see the backslashes in the address of a file on the computer.

In these cases, I do see the W with the horizontal line, not the backslash.

It doesn't appear the keyboard is defective, but something is not being interpreted correctly by the computer in SOME programs.

Any idea what this may be? It is not a problem causing major problems, but is a bit grating.

Advertisements

Idle-Brain

Idle-Brain

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
yeah, it also happens in Lineage2.

rwfromkansas

rwfromkansas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Any ideas on how to fix it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how about a screen capture?

CTexTuck

CTexTuck

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello, Thought I would share my solution found after searching many sites that did not seem to get to the solution.  It ended up being a simple font issue "Gulim" font name will change a backslash to a W with strikeout line thru the middle of the W.  I kept looking at keyboard mapping issues, keyboard logic problems and coming up with nothing that would change the outcome.  It was getting very frustrating trying to change all my hyperlinks where you could see the backslash appropirately in a mouseover but could not have it shown on page correctly.  Once realized the issue, changed font all standard locations for MS editor, well done.

Hope the end of my frustration will help ease someone elses...

Anything but "Gulim" font seems to be the trick for me.

Thanks.