Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Professional x64

• Please log in to reply

hkp7m866

hkp7m866

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Trying to help a friend with his Dell Precision 380 with a manufacture date of October 2006. He had started doing a re-install of his OS using a Dell recovery disk for XP Pro x64 with a 2008 date on it. The initial load of the OS finishes then the machine reboots after the screen tells you to remove any disks from the flopppy. The CD remains in the DVD, Windows starts and you get a message it is finalizing installation. A green bar starts moving across and approximately half way across the box containing the green progress bar we get a BSOD with the following:
***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0000000000000445, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0XFFFFF8000103D312

I have tried disconnecting all external peripherals and some of the internal devices leaving just the hard drive and the DVD connected with no luck...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !! The PC has a 73GB SCSI Hard drive and a 39320A Controller if that helps.
Thanks again !

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Sorry you have waited a couple of days for a reply.

To save me looking at the Dell specification, does the computer have onboard graphics as well as a card.
If so connect onboard graphics and enable those in BIOS.

If you have already done this, OR it does not have onboard graphics or HAS, and does not have a graphics card, then proceed with a Memtest

• First Download Memtest from This Link.
  • There are several downloads to choose from. For this CD Version you require the link that says:
    Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

• Download the file to your desktop.
  • If you are using Windows XP or Vista then you can right click the file and choose Extract All

Posted Image

You will now have a .iso file on your desktop called memtest86+-2.11
  • Now Click This Link to download ImgBurn.
  • Download that to your desktop and launch the installer by double clicking the ImgBurn installer icon. Follow the instructions, keeping the settings as the defaults.
  • Now when that is installed double click the program icon to launch Posted Image
  • Then click Write image file to disk
  • Then insert your Blank CD
  • Next click the Browse for File button Posted Image and load the memtest.iso from your desktop.
  • Then click the large Write file to disk button .
  • The program will then create your boot disk.
Run the program on the complete 8 passes.
PREFERABLY on ONE stick of ram at a time.

As it has reached the stage where it is fnalising installation, you do not I think need F6 to install SCSI driver from floppy before actual install starts.

Is the 64bit Xp the system was INSTALLED and indeed is the recovery disc for that DELL -
I have had a quick look at that Dell 380 - so I presume from what I have seen that the answer is YES.

If the reaon for the reinstall was errors, BSOD etc, did you ascertain the reason - for instance has the HDD been checked for bad sectors
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

Depending on your level of knowledge you may find this helpful - if you need guidance please just post
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It is now 4 days since I replied to your topic and you have not yet responded.

Do you still require help
Would you kindly update the thread.