Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics cards

• Please log in to reply

Sking0

Sking0

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Hi. I am looking to get a 2 gig graphics card.
I have a custom pc. Running windows XP SP3. AMD Phenom 9950 quadcore processor 2.60 ghz. 4 gig RAM.
Not sure about wattage of PSU but if that's an issue i will open it up and look.
Just wondering if that processor would be able to cope with running a 2 gig card.
Was looking at a Nvidia Geforce 9500GT, partly because of the price and partly because
the card i have installed at the moment is Nvidia Geforce 9500 1 gig and wasn't sure if the guys who built the pc
used that particular card for any compatibility issues?
Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Sking0

Not sure about wattage of PSU but if that's an issue i will open it up and look.

It is vital that you check this and let us know the details as an underpowered PSU will deny other components of the power that they need, slowly but surely killing them, that said your PC may fail to boot which by the way would be a good thing given the alternative outcome.

Just a FYI, for everyday use and gaming you do not need a 2GB video card unless you intend using more than three screens or a single screen larger than 32".

NB: What size is your case - full tower - mid tower or small form factor etc?

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Well i'm quite surprised that the PSU is only 300w. I would definitely get a bigger supply than that.
500w should do it!?
The tower is 420mm high x 180 wide x 470 deep.
I thought the power supply would be bigger because my daughter bought a cheap basic HP pc with nothing much in it
and a duo core processor and that had a 300w supply. My monitor is 22" Hanns G. With that and the other info i gave
i just thought the wattage would be higher in this pc.
Maybe that gives you an insight into my slim knowledge of hardware etc.
Basically i have been happy with my pc since i got it but recently i got into a new game and there are some excellent
mods out for it, i want to use some texture improvement mods and high detail. I was thinking that my pc would struggle to
run the higher detail etc as i already can't run the game on all max settings.
This is why i was thinking about bigger cards. I always check in here before i buy anything pc wise anyway :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Ok got your case size (mid tower type size)
What is your budget for a PSU and an add on video card please.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Don't really want to spend more than £250....Well £300 max. Obviously the cheaper the better but i am prepared to pay more for better quality.
Does the fact that you are asking me that mean that i would probably be able to run better mods than i can at the moment
if i went down this road?
I wouldn't mind upgrading anyway because games are getting better all the time and it won't be too long before i would have to
get some more powerful gear anyway.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
That is a good budget for a video card and a PSU :thumbsup:
One more thing for you to check for us, measure your present PSU and see if there is any additional space in your case.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Ok. Will do that tomorrow and let you know.
When i upgraded my daughters 300w PSU to a 500w PSU i managed to find one exactly the right size.
Funnily enough it was to power a bigger card she bought ;)
Appreciate the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
PSU suggestion http://www.novatech....-600cxv2uk.html gives you the dimensions so that you can compare it with the present PSU.
Video card suggestion http://www.novatech....pm2d1gd5oc.html like the PSU check the dimensions first and research any product/s before you purchase.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. The PSU has the same dimensions as my current PSU.
The graphics card is only 1 gig? I read all the details but it doesn't all mean much to me.
Is this just a high end card that would perform as well as the card i mentioned i was thinking of getting in my previous post?
I don't really get how a 1 gig card can improve my gaming that much more (ie. All game settings maxed) unless the card i have is
just pretty lame and i bought it in ignorance?
Will have a look for reviews on the MSI AMD card now.
Wish i would have read this before i put the pc back together cos i didn't measure the card. Sure i can find dimensions online tho.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Been doing some reading and i guess it would take ages to explain to me what i was asking.
I think i get the general picture now (even if i don't get all the tech spec info).
Will be going down this road i think. Thanks again for your help.
Will let you know how it goes when i have it all set up. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
That AMD card is great. I have been watching some vids about it.
I have two concerns
1. Would i have the necessary cables in my pc to attach the PCIe 6 pin cables to?
2. That card measures 9 7/8ths inches long my motherboard is here.....

http://www.asrock.co...K10N78HSLI-GLAN

Not sure if that will fit.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Just opened it up again and there is 12" clearance so that is good. Will just have to go for it now. I found the molex females too.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

That AMD card is great. I have been watching some vids about it.
I have two concerns
1. Would i have the necessary cables in my pc to attach the PCIe 6 pin cables to?
This type of connection comes from the PSU and goes direct to the add on video card, some cards may require two

2. That card measures 9 7/8ths inches long my motherboard is here.....

http://www.asrock.co...K10N78HSLI-GLAN

Not sure if that will fit.
I see that you have sorted this question.

Let us know what card you decide on before purchasing your PSU.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Well i hope i haven't bought the wrong one because they are both arriving tomorrow.
I went with the card and PSU that you suggested. If that is not a good idea i can always ring them and sort something out.
Maybe it isn't the correct way to look at it but i figured that if my current hardware is supported by a 300w PSU then i am
adding 300w which seemed to be enough to support that card!?
Hope it is ok cos i was looking forward to putting it all together tomorrow :unsure:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
If you went with the two suggestions that I made that is all good :thumbsup:
We have to ask as it is not unknown for people to go off and purchase a card that has been suggested and a cheap and nasty PSU which in turn pops on powering up, not all PSUs are of good quality - brands of PSU to trust and PSUs to avoid; http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php - http://forum.pcmech....ide-inside.html and http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm