Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Quick q. about memtest86 prog files on a CD

• Please log in to reply

blue.moon

blue.moon

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi everyone - just a (hopefully) quick question about burning memtest86 on a CD. I meticulously followed the instructions on this site (http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/) ... chose to download precompiled bootable ISO. Later in the tutorial he says to verify the disc has burned correctly by checking to see if the disc is called "boot."
When I checked, this is what I found:
"currently on disc (3)"

1. ISOLINUX file folder (6 items: boot.cat, boot.txt, isolinux.bin, isolinux.cfg, memtest, memtest.p)
2. SRC_V40A.zip compressed folder with 1 item: memtest86-4.0a
3. SRC_V40A.TGZ

"ready to be written to disc"

desktop.ini

Maybe this is a stupid question, but can I use this CD to boot using memest86 (I know how to mechanically do it, but wonder if these are the correct files, or if there's something questionable here?) I have Windows Vista, if that helps in answering.
Given my almost 100% certainty I have RAM problems, I want to be cautious with performing this process.

Any helpful suggestions would be MOST appreciated!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
:welcome: blue.moon

Maybe this is a stupid question, but can I use this CD to boot using memest86 (I know how to mechanically do it, but wonder if these are the correct files,

Follow the guide exactly and you cannot go wrong.

or if there's something questionable here?)

Define questionable! You will not find anything questionable on GTG.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Here is newer instructions for Memtest86.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

blue.moon

blue.moon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Phill -- I asked for helpful suggestions. Unfortunately yours are not. Good luck in the future.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, to the moderator -- excellent advice, and everything worked out well. I now know my Crucial memory is junk :) Thanks again!

Edited by blue.moon, 04 March 2012 - 07:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did your memory come up with errors when you ran the test?

blue.moon

blue.moon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, well sort of. I tried multiple times to run the test on my Crucial 1gb and every time the computer completely shut down right around test #4 (the 512 Samsung was great - test ran overnight with result of no errors). So I assume the 1gb is no good ...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would agree that a replacement is needed. Further I would suggest replacing the 512 meg module and getting two 1 gig modules for a total of 2 gigs of memory.
Running Vista or Win7 it is recommended that 2 gigs be installed to keep from having any problems. If I may further suggest to make sure what you need that will be 100% compatible with your system try installing just the 512 megs and then doing the following.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

blue.moon

blue.moon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
As long as you are "here" ... if I may ask an additional question about memory? As you know, I had/have 1.5 gb mem right now (yes, Vista) and I wanted to upgrade to the maximum 2gb for my system (Acer Aspire 5315-2698). When I ran the Crucial scan - about 2-3 weeks ago, all it told me was I needed PC2-5300 (667Mhz) 200 pin DDR2 SODIMM ... I ended up buying 2 1gb cards from oempcworld.com. They sent me 2 slots @ 1gb/ea of PC2-5300 (667Mhz) 200 pin DDR2 SODIMM but - BUT - the cards say 1gb 2Rx8, whereas what I already had said 2Rx16. This subtle difference - between Rx8 and Rx16 has me wondering. Someone mentioned the new oem memory at 2Rx8 will make my pc run slower, which is TOTALLY NOT what I was aiming for! Do you know if there's a difference? Also, the new memory is made by "Hynix" ... some generic brand. Would that make a difference? I was hoping adding the extra 1/2gb would help improve performance. Do you think I should contact oem and get the 2Rx16? Or just altogether order all over maybe from Crucial?

Thanks for entertaining my questions!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First off going from 512 to 2 gigs is going to speed up your system regardless of which type you get. The subtle difference you mention will not be noticeable and probably not worth the extra charge either. If the Crucial site's memory is about the same price for the two one gig modules I would go with them since their memory is guaranteed to work with your system. Any problems and you would have their guarantee on it to back you up. I have never had any dealings with oempcworld so I can't speak for their guarantee or customer support practices.

blue.moon

blue.moon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No, I had 1.5 gb - the crucial 1gb and 1 512mb card from original manufacturer (the Samsung). A year ago, I wanted to upgrade to 2gb. I assumed Acer put 1gb unit in but when my cousin opened the back panel, Acer had 2 units @ 512mb installed. We added the 1gb unit we had but it only brought it up to 1.5.
All the advice I see everywhere is to have the same or matched units inside. I figured I'd start all over with 2 1gb units. Everybody seems to think favorably about Crucial so I should have just got the mem from them but I SAVED A WHOLE $5 (laughing) going with oempcworld. I have their units installed as I reply to you, and I don't believe they're as good as Crucial's. I'll probably be ordering from them tomorrow and hope for memory that will make my system seem as if it's working better and/or faster.

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate your time!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes having a matched pair is always the best suggestion to keep any compatibility issues from happening.
Please let me know how everything works out as I am really interested in knowing how your system responds when it has 2 gigs of the same type of memory in it. :thumbsup:

blue.moon

blue.moon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
You got it Mr. Shaffer! My plan is to order from Crucial tomorrow ... depending on when I get the shipment, I'll have it in within a day or so ... might take a little time, but I WILL check back with you and let you know! Thanks for the memtest86 advice again - that was a terrific tool to use :) I'll be back sometime soon.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and don't be to tough on Phill as he is one of our new staff members and doesn't have all the instructions like us old timers. ;) I'm sure he will include the instructions I posted in the future now that he has seen them. He is a great Tech and has proven his ability to assist members very well. :thumbsup:
I am glad I could be of assistance and look forward to your next post with the new memory installed and working. It has been my pleasure to help you with your questions. Thank you for allowing myself and GeeksToGo to assist you and for your patience. :notworthy:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 4 months since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.