Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Installing Slave Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an HP Pavilion m400y Media Center Edition from 2004.

I am trying to install a 2nd hard drive (WDC 1tb SATA) in the slave position. I picked up a SATA to PATA/IDE adapter (see attachment) as the motherboard does not have any SATA connections available.

I updated the BIOS and it will recognize both hard drives (see attachments). Before I get into BIOS, the system tells me that there is a Hard Disk error or failure for the WD-1tb (slave).

This drive was purchased as an external HDD and it stopped working about a year ago after only a year of use. It is recognized in Windows Device Manager and it spins will and there is no clicking. I wanted to install it internally to try to recover some files and possibly use it if it might not, in fact be broken.

Now I have not done anything in BIOS to set it up, and windows does not recognize it in Disk Management. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2518.JPG
  • 100_2519.JPG
  • 419sjhUd1pL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello hickstyl...

Is the 1TB drive jumpered as a slave? The machine will throw a fit if the drive is jumpered as a master and some machines don't care for the CS (Cable Select) jumper settings.