Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting a Blue screen randomly?

• Please log in to reply

750steve

750steve

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Hello, i recently got my PC recovered from a virus with kind help from Oldman on here last week. Before the virus i returned home from work to randomly find the blue screen. I assume this will be hardware related? When i redtarted windows normally a pop up screen appeared & the contents are shown below. I have no clue about PC's so i'd really appreciate it if someone can help me. Thank you

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 9f
BCP1: 0000000000000003
BCP2: FFFFFA8003F35060
BCP3: FFFFF80000B9C518
BCP4: FFFFFA80047BC830
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\022812-21184-01.dmp
C:\Users\Stevie\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-65863-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft....88&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Edited by 750steve, 28 February 2012 - 02:59 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x0000009F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
A driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. Typically occurs during events that involve power state transitions, such as shutting down, or moving into or out of standby or hibernate mode.

Do you use hibernate or standby power options?

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Hi Rshaffer,

Im not quite sure what that means.........if i leave my PC it will power down automatically & the 'on' button flashes so i have to press it to start the PC again but it doesn't go through a full startup

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that is standby. To be honest I have never liked power down options as they seem to eventually always cause issues. I would suggest turning off the power options, start a screen saver after a period of time when you are not at the system and I almost bet the BSOD will not return.

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Ok, i'll take your advice, how do i do that though?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How to do which part?
To turn off the power options you need to go to the Control Panel and then look for the Power Options or Power Management.
There you will need to turn of Standby and Hibernate depending on which one it is set for. Let me know when you have that accomplished and then we will set a screen saver for you. :thumbsup:

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Ok, set to never sleep. I can manage a screen saver ok.

I have a black screen in my menu (see attached pic) & im pretty sure im missing some text because of it, how do i change that? The light text on the LHS of the screen is very faint too, i basicially cant see it unless my mouse is hovered over it.

Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Looks like a color scheme issue.

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Is there a way of changing the scheme? Sorry if thats a dumb question!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Right click on the desktop and then click on Personalize

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 14 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Hello, sorry i am away with my job alot & this slipped my mind when i came back. I still have the issue described above about seeing the text on screen.

I have been advised by 'her indoors' that we had no blue screens when i was away, looks like your advice worked.

I apologise for not coming back & posting sooner

Edited by 750steve, 13 March 2012 - 06:52 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What text on screen?

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Sorry, i should make myself clearer, the text problem is the one described in post #7. The personalise option didn't seem to fix it as i couldn't see how to change the colour scheme

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you go to Personalize scroll down on the right side of that window and you will see the Basic and High Contrast themes settings. What setting is yours at now? If not sure click the Windows 7 basic.