Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Very odd issue with wireless

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
After spending about 12 hours in the city yesterday, when I got home I was so looking forward to relaxing and playing some games – but I was met with a very odd issue with my computer. It was 'lagging' for a half second about everyone one second.

As in, if I moved my mouse from one side of the screen to the other at a moderate pace, it would stop, and then suddenly 'skip foward', and do that a few times.

I was a bit intoxicated last night so I didn't want to deal with it, I just did the simplest thing possible – booted up safe mode, started complete malware scans and went to bed.

This morning though I have isolated the problem – and the reason i've put it here in the Networking forum. The problem ONLY occurs when I try to connect to my home wireless. At first I thought it was my wireless adapter, as it went away when I disabled it – but i've re-enabled it now, and my PC only starts lagging up when I actively try to connect to my home wireless.

I don't have access to any other wireless internet so I can't test it out with other modems/routers (it's a desktop, not a laptop).

My wireless card is an ASUS PCE-N13 (If I remember correctly) and I have had it for at least a year, and it has worked perfectly fine.

The access point is a BoB router from iinet I believe (I live in a share house and the internet is provided to us – so I don't really know all the details).

One thing I have noticed is that the signal health has dropped from a usual 4/5 rating, to 2/5, and when it actually is connected, most of the time I can't do anything online.

I'm currently using my netbook, which is connected with no problems at all, internet is fully functional – 3/5 signal rating (used to get 4/5 or 5/5 previously.. maybe someone moved the modem..)

Does anyone have any ideas where the problems are coming from?

// EDIT:

After doing some more looking around it seems this can be an issue with the PCE-N13 card – and a simple uninstall of the device and reinstalling with drivers from the ASUS website seem to have solved the problem. I'm just going to attribute the loss in signal strength to someone physically moving the modem. Oh well.

Edited by Seltox, 28 February 2012 - 04:59 PM.

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello Seltox,

Thank you for editing your post saying that removing and re-installing the drivers fixed the issue.
The loss of signal strength can also be caused by interference from other devices like wireless phones, microwave-ovens, etc.
Also, wireless signals do not like objects between them and their target, so maybe someone moved something in between your PC and the router.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please let us know! :)