Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 free

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

help_the_sheep

help_the_sheep

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Is there a legal way to get Windows 7 for free?

Advertisements

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Not to the best of my knowledge, and in my opinion, it's not a good idea to run an illegal copy, but that parts up to you. Good luck!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NO is the only answer to this question.
You may be able to get it at a discount if you are a student through Microsoft. Also buying a OEM version is a little cheaper then buying a retail version.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, if you can find a nice person to BUY you a legal copy for your birthday, then you can get it for free. Other than that, if you need an able OS for free, use one of the many free and capable Linux alternatives.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts

NO is the only answer to this question.
You may be able to get it at a discount if you are a student through Microsoft. Also buying a OEM version is a little cheaper then buying a retail version.

Also if you're a student, look at the school's bookstore, or ask the IT help desk. I know at my university, I was able to get a copy of XP for $10 at the help desk.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It depends on the University and what subjects you are studying (if you are at university). When I was at uni studying Bachelor of IT I was able to get a free copy of Windows 7 Professional and also Office/Visio/Project. It was legit and I had to "apply" for it (Microsoft sent me all the product keys in an email linked to my Windows Live account) as there was only one copy of each valid per student. Mind you that was here in Australia also, not sure if it is different elsewhere.

EDIT: In reality though, university is NOT free and hence I likely paid for the software anyway as part of the tuition fees etc...

ThomasAnderson

ThomasAnderson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Its not necessary to purchase the ultimate version of Microsoft. You can purchase a cheap version of it, according to your requirement.
There are many sites who offer the windows 7 at low cost. you may google it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
ThomasAnderson.

It is nothing to do with the Ultimate version from Microsoft
Windows7 Ultimate is just one version.

See this please.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/compare

Home Premium £149.99 from Microsoft.

Although as you correctly say it can be bought for less.

However, that does not change the original question asked

Is there a legal way to get Windows 7 for free?

AND the answer to that is still NO

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I think this discussion has gone far enough. Closed.