Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 says setup.exe stopped working

• Please log in to reply

Cindy Pryt

Cindy Pryt

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
im trying to install a98 game called. daily form horse racing i used to play on windows xp. i now have windows 7
and when i go to install it it says setup.exe stopped working and than you have to click cancel. but it never tells me why it wont install

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
create a shortcut to setup.exe to your desktop. Then right click the shortcut and select "run as administrator". That should install it.

Cindy Pryt

Cindy Pryt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
yep tryed that but its not evan opening :)

Cindy Pryt

Cindy Pryt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
okay this is what its saying now The program cant open because GETINFO.DLL is missing from your computer try installing it to fix the problem

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, right click on shortcut and select properties. Under compatibility tab try adjusting the program to windows xp. If that doesn't work, then the game is simply to old to be compatible with windows 7.

Cindy Pryt

Cindy Pryt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
no didnt work what if i get the dll ?

Cindy Pryt

Cindy Pryt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
i installed it on my laptop and it works ?? its the same as my computer windows 7 ?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
IF the file is said was missing is found on the the laptop, I would copy the file and put it in the same location on your desktop. Just be careful. If your unsure, make a backup first. By the way, is this program on a cd? I've seen issues installing software due to CD-rom drive issues reading the media. I have some old cd's that do that and keep an old dvd handing just in case.