Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE taskbar shortcut

• Please log in to reply

mechanic

mechanic

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
This may sound a bit dumb but can someone tell me how i can put an IE shortcut on to my task bar?It used to be there but for some strange reason its suddenly gone.My operating system is XP PRO and using Internet Explorer 8.I still have a shortcut on the desktop and can connect to the `net but just don`t know why it is missing from the task bar.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have the Quick Launch toolbar displayed?

Right click on the Taskbar then select Toolbars. Is Quick Launch checked. If not, check it.

Does that bring back IE?

If not, make sure the Taskbar is not Locked (right click on it, make sure Lock the Taskbar is unchecked).

Now right click and hold on the IE icon on the Desktop then drag it to the Quick Launch area of the Taskbar. Release the mouse button and select Create Shortcut here.

karinchi

karinchi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
its easy! to bring it back just go to the start menu > all programs

you should see internet explorer

then you drag it into the task bar. or quick launch bar.

or even desktop.

it will quickly become a shortcut.

if that doesnt work, another way is to right click, then click copy, or create a shortcut.

hope it helps! (:

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ztruker, i have followed your instructions.The toolbar is displayed,Quick Launch is checked,Lock the taskbar is unchecked,When right clicking and holding IE on the desktop and dragging to the task bar, a black circle with a diagonal line from top left to bottom right appears,i then release the mouse button and nothing happens.I have tried this several times and the same thing happens.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You are dragging it to the Quick launch area of the Taskbar (left side), right?

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
You are dragging it to the Quick launch area of the Taskbar (left side), right?

Yes that is correct.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hmmm, strange. Normally you see the stop (circle with diag line) when you try to drag to the active portion of the taskbar, between the Quick Launch and System areas.

Try this then.

Click on Start then All Programs. Right click on Internet Explorer then Send to and chose Desktop. That will place a new IE icon on the Desktop. Now try dragging that one to the Quick Launch area with the right mouse button. If it allows it, chose Move when you release the mouse button.

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Many thanks Ztruker,that solved the problem.It worked first time. Again, many thanks for your help.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You're welcome, glad that helped.