Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen Resolution DELL XPS 630i

• Please log in to reply

OCMark25

OCMark25

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi-
I have an issue with my DELL XPS630i not displaying an image past the start up screen. I boot up and the start up screen comes up like normal. When it should move on to the desktop screen I just get black. At one point I was getting the error: floppy disk(s) fail (40). I was able to stop that error by adjusting that in the BIOS but still no display. I am going to replace the CMOS battery because I have no clue how the BIOS setting changed.

It all started when out of nowhere my screen resolution went down drastically by itself. I could not change it in the display setting. It ran with the resolution low for a few days before it would not get past the splash screen. While it was running like this I updated my video driver and ran Microsoft updates. I also ran Malwarbytes with no results.

I have tried replacing the graphics card with a Nvidia chipset card because it was built with one. I did this when the screen started going blank after the splash screen. This did not solve the problem. I do not have an integrated video card to switch to because my computer just came with the Nvidia card. I figured the driver for the original card would work for the new card I bought since I checked the Nvidia website for driver compatibility and purchased one accordingly.

Safe mode does not work. A garble screen of text comes up and just sits there staring at me :angry: With the new card the text was clear but nothing else happened. Is this a hardware problem? What is going on here?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi OCMark25 ... :wave: ..:welcome:
first try connecting the monitor to a working computer...does it work there
yes...
can you get into the bios...if so
set it to default or safe settings...it can also be called optimized sometimes...there are some will use F5
I can't tell you where in the bios it is because every bios manufacture does it differently

did you replace the CMOS battery...

OCMark25

OCMark25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay I have been moving. The monitor is fine. I replaced the CMOS battery and now I get no display with a beeping sound coming from the inside of the computer. I made sure it was the correct replacement battery. The computer does not seem to be booting now. I hit the small reset button on the board and nothing happened. Any thoughts?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you get into the bios...

The monitor is fine

does that mean you connected it to another computer or do you "just know"
did you reset the date and time in the bios after replacing the battery

OCMark25

OCMark25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I connected the monitor to another computer and the monitor worked. I also tried another working monitor from a friend and the problem remains. I can not get a display at all at this point. I can not get into the bios. I was able to before I changed the battery.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you sure you got the bios battery installed correctly (right side up)...
is the latch closed properly

OCMark25

OCMark25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I will double check it later when I get home from work. I made sure that it was installed in the same direction as the factory battery and the latch clicked into place. It is a brand new battery.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
while your in there look to see if you accidentally disconnected something while changing batteries..