Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Upgrading Ram

• Please log in to reply

0mar854

0mar854

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I need help in selecting RAM for my computer. I ran the crucial scanner and the results are as follows

Memory:
DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400
Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 4GB
Currently Installed Memory: 1GB
Total Memory Slots: 4
Available Memory Slots: 2
512MB
512MB
EMPTY EMPTY

The RAM on their site is expensive and they are recommending me to buy pairs not individual. I found one site where they have 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9/4G. Would this work on my system along with the two 512mb ram I already have? ...Since my computer is a 32 bit and if I install this 4gb single stick along with the two I already have, would it mess up .? Thanx for any help...I have been in desperate need to upgrade ram on my comp because netbeans is running so slow n i hate to drive to school : ) I have also uploaded a screenshot of my directX diagnostic tool...

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Omar854...

When running a 32 bit operating system, the most RAM that will be utilized is about 3.5GB. Installing 4.5GB in your machine would effectively waste a full gig of your new RAM. You would actually be better served by installing two 1GB modules of the same speed and brand...and Windows XP will run quite nicely on 2 gigs.

Newegg.com lists several 2 gig sets of RAM that will work with your machine for less than $30...which is very reasonable for the performance increase you will experience. As an alternative, you could install one 2GB module in slot 1 and leave a 512MB in the other slot for a total of 2.5GB.

One thing to keep in mind is that your RAM modules will run at the speed of the slowest module installed.

2GB Module (single stick)

2GB Module Set (two sticks of 1GB)

I hope this helps you in making your decision. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards...

wannabe1

0mar854

0mar854

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks alot! That helps me out

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician