Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

print job spooled, then deleted

• Please log in to reply

jdrcorp

jdrcorp

• Pip
  • 9 posts
So...here's the deal. I have an HP Deskjet 4280 printer hooked up to my desktop that is running Vista. My wife and I just bought 2 new laptops that are running Windows 7. I've connected the laptops wirelessly to our home network and added the printer to each laptop. I successfully printed the test page and assumed everything was hunky dory..and we all know what assuming does. My wife got a little upset when she went to print her coupons and they would not print. I watched the queue on the desktop and when I sent a document to print from one of the laptops, it would spool for like 1 second and then automatically delete the job. I used the powerful google and there was a suggestion to disable advanced printing features on the desktop. After doing this, I was able to print a document from Notepad, but nothing else. Mom's not happy and I'm at a loss. In the mean time when hook the printer up via usb cable, we're able to print just fine and she's able to get her coupons printed..but that's only going to last so long.

Any advice would be amazing!

Thanks in advance,
Jacob

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Printer sharing via another computer is really a Mickey Mouse setup. You really need to network the printer too with a Print Server. In this way, the printer does not have to be tethered to a computer. A "host" computer does not have to be up and running (and not a sleep) for anyone on the network to print. "Sharing" does not have to be enabled on any computer. The printer can be centrally located for convenience. And everyone can print at once and the PS will sort the print jobs out.

Before buying a PS, check your router - many have network printing support built in.

jdrcorp

jdrcorp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks for the info, I'll be getting one shortly..or I may just get a new router anyway, ours is like 5 years old lol

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

thanks for the info, I'll be getting one shortly..or I may just get a new router anyway, ours is like 5 years old lol

Being 5 years old is no reason to change. If your current router does not have features you need, then changing may be justified.

If your current wireless network does not support Wireless-N (802.11n), then I would consider a new wireless-N router with a built-in printer support.

Understand there really is no such thing as a "wireless router". That is a marketing term for a piece of hardware that just happens to contain a router, a wireless access point (WAP) and in most cases, and a 4-port Ethernet switch in the same box - 3 distinct, discrete network devices that share a circuit board, chassis, case, and power supply.