Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is window 8 worth waiting for? or should i go for window 7 laptops?

• Please log in to reply

karinchi

karinchi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I mean a lot of my friends tells me that i should totally wait for window 8 to come out to get a laptop because then i will regret later on.
But then waiting for window 8 seems like a while, and the price for window 8 will obviously be more expensive.

Does anyone know when comparing window 8 to window 7 what are their differences and silmarlities?
Good things and bad things?

Im heading to college, and this laptop is probably going to stay with me for a long time, so i want this laptop to be good.

and i am not a mac person. so dont give me suggestions with apples. ahaha

thanks in advance!

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
karinchi,

If you're heading to college, I would suggest you go ahead and get a laptop with Windows 7. Actually, I'd recommend that anyway, as Windows 7 is a very stable and overall good operating system. Windows 8 will not be commercially available for a while yet, and Windows 7 should continue to be supported for some period of time. If you can put a little bit of money into the hardware, you may have an upgrade path to Windows 8 in the future anyway.

As far as look and feel, Windows 8 is quite a bit different from Windows 7. The underlying programs are the same, but the user interface is more similar to that of a smart phone than your traditional operating system. It will take a little while to get used to, as navigation is different.

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
The differences are easy to say. First they are complete opposites. Windows 8 was basically created to run on everything between A and Z. If your going to college and can not absolutely wait. then buy a windows 7 laptop and try to sell it for a Windows 8 tablet. A tablet will be better than a laptop and with Windows 8 you will notice the touch interface.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Windows 7 is a very stable and overall good operating system. Windows 8 will not be commercially available for a while yet, and Windows 7 should continue to be supported for some period of time. If you can put a little bit of money into the hardware, you may have an upgrade path to Windows 8 in the future anyway

I completely agree with Sari. Windows 8 is still in the testing phase and is only released for evaluation at this time. That being said, Microsoft still has a large number of bugs to resolve (as expected). I would stick with Windows 7. I don't expect the hardware requirements to be radically different between the two systems. As I understand it, Microsoft is developing Windows 8 to run on multiple platforms, as NKGuy mentioned. If anything, the requirements may be a little more reasonable. I would also recommend sticking with Windows 7 because even after the testing phase, Microsoft is going to be forced to "refine" the OS with things they discover after the launch. Third party companies are going to start working on patches and updates as well. I wouldn't rush into anything, especially if you are going to rely on this laptop to make it through college.

Good luck in your studies :thumbsup:

dgreen_techies

dgreen_techies

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I mean a lot of my friends tells me that i should totally wait for window 8 to come out to get a laptop because then i will regret later on.
But then waiting for window 8 seems like a while, and the price for window 8 will obviously be more expensive.

Does anyone know when comparing window 8 to window 7 what are their differences and silmarlities?
Good things and bad things?

Im heading to college, and this laptop is probably going to stay with me for a long time, so i want this laptop to be good.

and i am not a mac person. so dont give me suggestions with apples. ahaha

thanks in advance!

here's the thing. I'm using windows8 right now. It has tons of bugs as i can see it, testing mode and sending bugs to windows center.

If you really want to try win8, you can boot it in your win7 OS. you can do that, just for a try.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I use XP, Win7 and just installed the consumer preview for Win8 on my system this morning. Other then a total learning curve getting use to how things work with it I'm excited with its speed and options.
I would suggest trying Win8 in a virtual box environment before you take the full plunge with it due to the learning curve you are going to encounter. :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Don't like the not having the Start Menu Button so found a way to install it on Win8. :thumbsup:
So far it looks great and works as expected. I haven't found any glitches so far that I have noticed.

scamuicune

scamuicune

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
If you're attending a college/university for quite some time, they will usually offer software and operating system upgrades for very cheap- another thing to keep in mind.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
True but Win8 is not available in a retail or even school release yet. It is only for consumer preview right now.

scamuicune

scamuicune

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

True but Win8 is not available in a retail or even school release yet. It is only for consumer preview right now.

Yes, this is correct :happy:. I was referring to when the official, commercially available version that will be released in the future. Another option, instead of selling off the laptop, would be to upgrade it.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Correct if the laptop comes preinstalled with Win7 it should run Win8 with no problems. :thumbsup:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Rule of thumb for Windows is only use every other version of it that comes out.

98 was good, ME was not
XP was good, Vista was not.
7 is good, 8 most likely won't be.

You will want to get the version of windows after 8.

Also, Windows 8 is basically 7 with some touchscreen additions, not much else, so it isn't worth the money for the normal user that doesn't have a touchscreen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The two things I don't like about win8 is the Metro startup and not having the Win7 start button.
Other then that I like it.

Aaronor

Aaronor

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I would say go with Windows 7 seeing you might end up having stability or comptability options with Windows 8 for some of your college softwares.. Which you really can't risk having.

I really like the USB feature for Windows 8.. Just bringing it with you like your Linux distros.:P

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Personally I am not pushing the concept on any of my customers. I've been running it for quite some time and I'm not overly impressed to be honest. Call me conservative, but the standard desktop interface of 7 is just so much more efficient and productive in most environments.

Hopefully I'll change my mind as time passes... after all, the RTM releases to us TechNet members on the 15th of this month! :)