Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is window 8 worth waiting for? or should i go for window 7 laptops?

• Please log in to reply

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts
I'd suggest you to stick with win 7 then upgrade to 8 later.

Advertisements

LATIN

LATIN

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Rule of thumb for Windows is only use every other version of it that comes out.

98 was good, ME was not
XP was good, Vista was not.
7 is good, 8 most likely won't be.

You will want to get the version of windows after 8.

Also, Windows 8 is basically 7 with some touchscreen additions, not much else, so it isn't worth the money for the normal user that doesn't have a touchscreen.

What Fenor said is so true windows 8 will be a flop just like win me and vista seems like its a pattern

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wow I'm just astonished at the reviews. I have been using Win8 since beta release and it is much faster then Win7. Sure the Metro interface does nothing for pc users without a touch screen and the almighty Start button is missing. The latter can be resolved with a simple add on program call ViStart.
Metro well that is not going away especially since Microsoft has implemented coding in the final release to keep folks from bypassing it.
Once I got use to the extra mouse click with Metro it isn't all that bad. Honestly I don't use it once I get to my desktop anyway so I never give it a second thought.
IMHO Win8 actually improves on Win7 with the exception of the two issues I have mentioned. :thumbsup:

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi,

Here's an interesting quote from another user on another forum I participate in.

I had to call MS for help with my Office Home and Student 2010. While we were waiting for the connection to my computer I asked him about W 8 and for what it is worth here is what he said. It is more of a special edition for use by laptop and tablets and desktops. He said the next OS after that will have the start button and reg OS like we usually get. I really hope that is true.

For what it's worth.

Joe :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

He said the next OS after that will have the start button and reg OS like we usually get. I really hope that is true.

A 5 second download of ViStart takes care of the start button issue in Win8. Now Metro that one isn't going away and actually is being reinforced in the Retail final coming out in Oct as I stated in my last post. If everyone is going to wait for the next OS remember it could be 3 years before that happens even in Beta form.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll run Windows 8 on my laptop, albeit reluctantly.

I'll wait for the next operating system for my desktop.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IMHO there should have been another version for those of us that do not have touch screens. Metro is worthless in my opinion but like I said it is just a extra click or two then it is back to windows desktop.