Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First time build: powers for 1-2 sec then reboots over and over

• Please log in to reply

cmoreafi

cmoreafi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I had a problem with everything in the case, so I removed it all onto an insulated platform.
Same problem occured with only the psu, cpu, graphics card, 1 stick of ram installed.
I have the 24pin power and 8 pin powers connected and still reboots over and over after 1-2 sec
and I'm just wondering if it could be a faulty mobo. I already tested the psu with my old mobo and it powers up fine.

Specs:
gigabyte z68x-ud3
i5-2500k
ddr3 4gb kingston hyperx 1600 t1
cooler master 1000w silent pro 80bronze

Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,753 posts
Hi cmoreafi Posted Image

Have you built a rig before?

Here is a link to a very good trouble shooting Blog.

Even though you have carred out some tests, go through the whole post and then get back to us letting us know what the result is, good or bad.

I did notice that the RAM you listed is 1.65v you Mobo specs state "4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory" There is a mention about this issue in the Blog.

http://www.tomshardw...-video-problems

cmoreafi

cmoreafi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the reply! Yes, it is my first rig and i'm very excited about it!

I did happen to see that link while browsing the other posts and had performed the bare test with just the psu and mobo.
Same thing continued to happen. From the link it was my understanding that even without the memory it would run with
continuous beeping from the internal speaker alerting me to the fact that no memory was installed.

In the end I contacted the retailer and arranged for a return but thanks again for the response!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,753 posts
Was that the Mobo you are replacing?
Did you get any Beeps?Did you note that you should check the RAM settings as you may have to set the voltage and timings manually?