Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The display freezes up, but not with remote connection

• Please log in to reply

stayathomegeek

stayathomegeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay I gotta get the PSU tested. Meanwhile I reseated the CMOS, but no joy.

I have a question -- maybe I did something really dumb.

When I acquired this computer a month ago, I put a fresh install of Windows 7 home premium 32 bit on it. I figured it needed 32 bit because the computer is 9 years old!

But I just realized today what the 64 means in AMD 64 Athlon X2.

So I have my 64 bit processor running Windows 7 home premium 32 bit. Is that okay? Could that cause freeze-ups?

Linda :blush:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
That would not affect your voltage readings, can you check the capacitors on the MB for signs of damage http://www.pcstats.c...m?articleID=195
For checking W7 compatibility see http://www.microsoft...us/default.aspx

stayathomegeek

stayathomegeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The capacitors look pristine. I'm going to have to get the PSU tested. How do I find such a person? Never done such a thing before. :geek:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Good news on the capacitors, your local computer store may be able to test your PSU.
Did you run the Windows 7 advisory tool?

stayathomegeek

stayathomegeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The Windows 7 advisory tool is not helpful. That tool advises only on upgrades. It doesn't tell you about swapping between 32 and 64 bit, and doing so is not an upgrade. Because I already have 32 bit Windows Home Premium on it, it advises me that I can upgrade to 32 bit Windows Pro.

I already know what the nuts and bolts of what I would have to do to switch my OS to 64 bit. What I was wondering is whether anyone has found if, in practice, some problems could crop up from Windows Home Premium 32 bit running on a 64 bit machine.

:D Linda

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I was thinking more along the lines that Windows7 may not have all the required drivers for your system.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

stayathomegeek

stayathomegeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The instructions you provided seemed out of synch with what I saw on the pcpitstop site. There was no Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive. And I did not see a unique URL I can send you.

I ended up doing their driver scan. Neither of their scans seems to produce a unique URL, so I copied the results of the driver scan stayathomegeek_pcpitstop_driveralert.jpg to a word doc, then created a jpg from it, which is attached.

Sorry if this was my error, but I just couldn't figure out a match between your instructions and their site.

Thanks for sticking with me. If I sent you the wrong thing, let me know, and I'll try again.

Linda

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry no that is not what we need, see http://www.pcpitstop.com/safe.asp see #4 on the list, when the test has run copy/paste the address of the page which is located upper left corner - this will allow us to see the results.

stayathomegeek

stayathomegeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24824899

Did I get it right this time? :P Linda

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=24824899

Did I get it right this time? :P Linda

Yes thanks :thumbsup:

Please return to the PCPitstop results and address the items that have a red X against them, if you hover the cursor over the item you will be given a description of the issue and if you click on it you will be instructed how to correct the problem.

I noticed when I checked your installed software that you have both Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials anti virus programs running, you should uninstall one of them immediately as having the two running at the same time can not only render your computer unstable and cause crashes it can actually make it vulnerable to malware attack.

Please read the tutorial provided courtesy of Admin for further guidance http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/ pay particular note to the text in red.

Post back when you have addressed the above please.

NB: Please note that PCPitstop will not identify a problem with a motherboard voltage regulator.

Advertisements

stayathomegeek

stayathomegeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
1. Disk defragged.
2. Roboform installed (it was something I'd been putting off anyway)
3. Avast uninstalled, although I didn't think it was a problem because at the time I had MSE turned off.
4. Not dealing with disk speed, as I don't really care. This is a dedicated machine for WAMPserver site testing.

What next? It still freezes up around every half hour.

I see from my google searches that this model of Emachines T6540 is known for freezing up, and that some folks have solved it with rejiggering their RAM, but this started before I replaced 1G of RAM with 4G of matching RAM from crucial.com

Any other ideas?

Linda :P

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If the problem does lay with the MB then no amount of testing we do will fix it I`m afraid, all we can do is rule out other possible causes, these checks will improve your system in other areas and so are beneficial in any event:

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;

Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive. http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the CD bootable.

stayathomegeek

stayathomegeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have to cut my losses here. Rather than spend more time sprucing up a computer that probably has a bad MB, I'm replacing the computer. Thanks for your help.

Linda :geek:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are most welcome, I am sorry that we could not help you to resolve the issue.
Let us know when you find a new system you are considering :thumbsup: