Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New desktop with no OS doesn't recognize monitor, Why?

• Please log in to reply

TheComposer

TheComposer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I just bought a new desktop PC, I don't have a monitor on my own so I took it (The CPU) to a friend, he plugged everything (CPU, Keyboard and Mouse) then he used his 100% functional monitor via VGA port to start the BIOS and install some OS (Linux), but such monitor didn't show anything, it had a NO SIGNAL signal onscreen, am I really screwed??

Below is all the info of the desktop I got, it's a Gateway FX7029E Core 2 Quad 2.5GHz Desktop-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-No OS

Before I proceed with inspecting the CPU, I must say this:

I bought it from Ebay, and it still shows that "Warranty void sticker" in the back, so, should I remove that warranty in order to check if something's wrong inside?

Could it be that I just need another to conect it with another port (like HDMI or Super Video) to make the computer shows the screen??

This is very important since I bought a laptop some weeks ago and had a problem so I had to return it back with refund, I don't want to return this one, I have a 30 days warranty though, but would like to know if I can use another monitor and it'll be fine, thanks.

Specs here:

Gateway FX7029E Core 2 Quad 2.5GHz Desktop-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-No OS
Product Details
Description Gateway FX7029E
Overall Condition Good - This item is previously used and will show signs of wear and tear from normal use. Items in good condition may have flaws such as scratches, scuffs, or nicks on the screen or housing.
Fully Functional? Working - This item has been tested and is in normal working condition.
Defects Several light scratches on the housing.
Keyboard Included? Yes
Mouse Included? Yes
Power Cord Included? Yes
Original Software Included? No
Extra Accessories None
Color Black
Ports Coax
DVI
Firewire x 2
Memory Card Reader
RJ11
RJ45
S-video
USB x 8
VGA
Graphics Card 512MB (Nvidia 8800gt)
Processor Type Intel Core 2 Quad
Processor Configuration Quad Core
Processor Speed (Per Core) 2.5 GHz
Memory (RAM) 4 GB
Hard Drive Capacity (GB) 500 GB
Optical Drive CD-RW/DVD
Operating System Not Included

Advertisements

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
If your still reading this for some reason, it could be that the GPU is shot.