Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

colours and resolution all mixed up after booting

• Please log in to reply

Graham56

Graham56

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi there

I have been referred to this section after receiving help from 'maliprog' ,who was very helpful, from malware dept who after several tests seems to think it is a graphics card problem.

http://www.geekstogo...idows-loads-up/

this is a link to the original post which contains results and logs.
If I boot up in safe mode basevideo it is ok but if I try to change the resolution the the colours all change and any wallpaper looks a little like a photo negative with the wrong colours.
I hpe some one can help me.
Graham

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi Graham56

I would agree with 'maliprog' that this is a hardware or driver issue, if hardware related this may be as a result of a bad power supply, graphics card or both Im afraid, possible software/driver issues may include bad video settings, an incorrect driver being installed or a conflict between drivers.

You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

Graham56

Graham56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Phillpower2,
Thank you for your reply.
My computer is a desk top custom built about 6 years old or maybe a bit older.
AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+, 2.20GHz 1.00GB RAM
K8 Triton Motherboard GA-K8VT800M
Windows XP home, version 2002 service pack3
Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce Fx5700

while waiting for your reply I uninstalled the drivers and when rebooting inserted the cd when prompted to reinstall the drivers. This if anything made things worse as when I tried to adjust the resolution (I had booted in safe mode, base video) I got 'out of range' message on the monitor and I had to turn the computer off to reboot again in safe mode.
Please let me know if you need further information.
Graham

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Options now are to try a known good PSU and/or video card, if you cannot borrow a PSU get yours tested by a tech who has the necessary equipment and knowledge, if you cannot borrow an AGP video card try and borrow a standard PCI type (not PCI-E) and try cleaning out the inside of the case from heat trapping dust reseating the add on card securely in the process, see my canned speech below for doing this safely;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory stick/s, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan.
Make sure If all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the psu details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to add one more option and that is trying a different monitor.
That would quickly determine if it is the PC or the monitor.

Graham56

Graham56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you for your advice.
I have switched monitors and there is no difference so I think I will clean it out as you described and if no better I will take to where it was made now I know that it is probably not virus/malware problem.
The business is local to me and they should be able to fix it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the update.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Another observation is bouncing in my head. Is this a built on video or a add on card?

Graham56

Graham56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It's an add on card

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK removing it and making sure to clean the slot and the contacts on the card may help. If not then you may need to try a different video card.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 19 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Graham56

Graham56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi rshaffer61,
Thank you for your reply. I took my computer to a local business where it was made and I needed a new graphics card. The drive needed to be reformatted and I have just about finished installing my software.

So now the problem is solved.
Thank you for your help,
Graham.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible