Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Input from Owners of 10k+ rpm hdd's needed

• Please log in to reply

h0dg1k1ll3r

h0dg1k1ll3r

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi, I'm currently building my first custom build, and I need help choosing a primary hdd. I'm not going with ssd, because people have told me they wear out within a year or two; but I've heard mixed reviews on 10k+ rpm hdd's. If you have owned a fast hdd (10k+ rpm) as your primary hdd for more than a few months (or until it went bad), please post brand, model, length of time used, and any problems encountered, as well as your reason for choosing that particular hdd. I'm not very worried about heat dissipation; I simply don't wish to be replacing this hdd within a year. Here is my current build

NZXT Switch 810-full atx, removable intake filters, closeable vents, bottom mounted power

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX nb 950 sb AM3+

AMD FX 6100 6x3.3 ghtz AM3+

GTX 570 Zaton 1.2gb

2x4gb ddr3 1886 (not sure what brand yet)

Ultra 750w 45a

Primary hdd-200-300 gb 7200 rpm or 15000 rpm sata iii (see above)

Secondary hdd Seagate Barracuda 2tb 7200 rpm Sata 3

LG blueray sata 3

1gb wifi built in (not sure what brand yet)

27" LCD HDMI 1080p+ monitor (still shopping)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
As you have not yet received a reply to your OP I will offer some input.

I'm not going with ssd, because people have told me they wear out within a year or two;

Not sure what you have heard or read but the information is flawed, the same as everything else SSDs are now far more efficient and reliable than when they were first introduced also like everything else you get what you pay for which should always be a good brand name, a good warranty and a reputation for good after sales service.

You will pay a lot of money for a good brand and quality 10K HDD whereas you would be better off with a 60GB SSD for the OS which will achieve faster boot times and the additional funds put towards a second 7200rpm 6Gb/s HDD that has 64MB of cache.

Also worth a mention is the choice of PSU, Ultra has a questionable reputation and a known good brand such as Antec, Corsair or Seasonic would be better, some links for guidance on PSUs;

http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php
http://forum.pcmech....ide-inside.html
http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Not sure what you have heard or read but the information is flawed, the same as everything else SSDs are now far more efficient and reliable than when they were first introduced also like everything else you get what you pay for which should always be a good brand name, a good warranty and a reputation for good after sales service.

I'll second that...

In the beginning, and I mean around 2006 or 2007, SSD's did have some problems with life expectancy and what not, but the new breed of controllers and technology have proved reliable thus far. I urge you to research on your own, "life expectancy of SSDs" and make sure to look at the date of such articles to ensure you are getting updated information. I did that very same thing last night, and seems SSDs are very reliable compared to a few years ago.

I found this as well... SSDlife

Gives my 60gb OCZ Vertex 3 a life expectancy of 8 years.

I vote Corsair, Antec, or Seasonic for Power Supplies as well. Always get something 80 Plus Certified.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
Thanks for your input Ferrari :thumbsup: