Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Temp Files Cleaner 3.1

• Please log in to reply

Wopsie

Wopsie

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Have donwloaded TFC and when bringing into action my computer made of moan of rejectiong but I still continued and TFC removed about 4,000 temp files, which seemed to have been a lot and at the same time most of the references were the uninstalling of a lot Microsoft KBs. I did notice that the information seem to cover at lot of IE5 and IE7 and parts of SP2 and SP3. I was surprised of the number of deletions.

I also use Ccleaner, and I then checked the REGISTERY checker and I found that there were 144 entries, mostly under uninstall reference issues c:\windows\$ntuninstaller KB981852.spuninst.exe, etc., etc.

I am concerned and in doubt that TFC has conflicted or removed late MS Updates, as I noticed some of the entries were MS Updates of 2011.

I've attached three parts of the REGISTRY entries to be fixed by Ccleaner, and there are 14 entries in each part, therefore, 42 entries of the 144.

Is it safe to delete these from registry, are they clutter, or has TFC went too far in deleting things and changing things in my computer. Could this download be dangerous and insiduous programme?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012.03.03.Part 1 Ccleaner Registry entries to fix.JPG
  • 2012.03.03.Part 2 Ccleaner Registry entries to fix..JPG
  • 2012.03.03.Part 3 Ccleaner Registry entries to fix.JPG

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Wopsie,

Are you referring to this program? We host a program called TFC, but there is no version number associated with it, and it only clears temp files. However, the description of Temp File Cleaner 3.1 states the following:

Additionally, you're allowed to clean Windows updates cache, Windows logs and the temporary files, root and user temporary data and Recycle Bin.

I don't believe you've deleted important Windows updates, just the files related to them. Do not delete the registry entries found by CCleaner. We strongly discourage the use of registry cleaners, as they will not improve the performance of your PC in any measurable way, and if the wrong entries are removed, you could end up with an unbootable PC or damaged programs. Even orphaned registry entries won't hurt anything, nor will they affect your PC's performance.

If you're looking for the TFC program written by Oldtimer, who is a respected staff member here, then you can download it from this location. I would recommend you use this program, as it truly only clears temp files; it won't delete cookies, prefetch, or any other locations. As stated before, I also strongly recommend that you don't use any registry cleaners at all.

I hope this helps,

sari

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Wopsie ... :wave: ..:welcome:

those $ntuninstaller file are the the patchs / hotfixes you downloaded and installed...they are safe to remove as long as the patch went smooth...if your not having issues go ahead and remove them manually...after you remove them you will no longer be able to uninstall that patch
and do not use any reg cleaners...they do way more harm than good...I am working in another thread where the OP used ccleaner on the registry and now can't boot at all
side note...ccleaner is probably is gentlest of all the reg cleaners out there and it can still cause issues

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Sari,

Yep, I downloaded TFC 3.1.1, and I was very surprised of the amount of files it discovered.
Sadly, I am been using Ccleaner REGISTRY cleaner, but it just came up with a few bits and pieces off and on, and when I did a REGISTRY search and found all these issues from the TGC 3.1.1 I began to wonder if the programme was SAFE. Should I have a question mark about this programme?

Because there are so many issues on the Ccleaner REGISTRY cleaner, I think I will take your advice about fixing issues.

Therefore, TFC 3.1.1 isn't the same as your TFC by Old Timer?

Thanks for your advice, and best regards.

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks HR,

Have you any views on this programme TFC 3.1.1? All the reviews I have checked mostly say that it works okay, but then there were a few who said that it's dangerous. I was surprised of the amount of files it removed.

I'll download the other one the Sari suggested above, TFC by Old Timer.

Best Regards

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
use TFC by Old Timer...uninstall or delete the other

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Sari and HR,

This is what came up on the download site you suggested for TFC by Old Timer.

My antivirus company didn't like this site;

Best Regards

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012.03.03.Dangerous Page Old Timer.JPG

Edited by Wopsie, 02 March 2012 - 06:24 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hi Wopsi,

Something looks wrong with the URL as shown in your browser address window from the picture you posted.

Try this link for TFC.
http://www.geekstogo...er-by-oldtimer/

Let us know how that works for you.

Joe

Edited by zep516, 02 March 2012 - 06:49 PM.

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Joe,

The same again, I go the site you listed, I click onto the DOWNLOAD and as the site loads, my antivirus gear blocks the site. So there is something wrong or my antivirus company has it all wrong.

Regards

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012.03.03.Second Time Dangerous Page.JPG

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Yes. I would also conclude something is wrong with Trend Micro Anti Virus. The link works fine for me.

Edited by zep516, 02 March 2012 - 08:17 PM.

Advertisements

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, that is interesting because of that statement is says on the warning, is that true that this site is dangerous? I will check with my server on that.

Regards

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

is that true that this site is dangerous?

No! The web site is not dangerous. It's a false positive. Meaning the site is good but Trend Micro seems to think it's bad. Sometimes an update to Trend Micro will address these types of issues. Do you get the warning from other sites as well?

Joe

Edited by zep516, 02 March 2012 - 08:18 PM.

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
G'day Mate,

Well it's very interesting because I went via anothe site and it came up dangerous again.

Regards

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012.03.03.Third Time Dangerous Page via another site..JPG

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Zep,

I downloaded the Temp File Cleaner 3.1.1 "from addpcs.comsoftware.addpcs.com/tfc/index.phpCached". I am wondering if their download has hidden something that stops "old timer" from downloading and makes the site dangerous. Is this possible? But, it's happened from two different sites. I have sent a Tech Spt email to Trend to enquire why this is so.

Regards

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
So how long have you been using Trend Micro Anti Virus?