Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Temp Files Cleaner 3.1

• Please log in to reply

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Many years, and using the Maximum security.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012 : Web Content Filter

You can set Trend Micro's parental control system to block unwanted Web sites. I'm thinking that may be your issue. Something is set in the web filter content under Parental Controls. Take a look and see what settings are checked or blocked. Also the web sites you went to have an EXE in the end of the URL. Trend Micro may not like that much as it see's it as an executable file so it blocks it.

Joe

Edited by zep516, 02 March 2012 - 09:24 PM.

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Sorry Zep, nothing like that, as I have no kids as I am a senior they are all gone producing great grandchildren and it's turned OFF. It looks as though there is is some security measure that has been taken because of other incidents that possibly you are not aware of. It's very interesting that going through other sites to that download site, it is BLOCKED!

Must away, and I might restore my computer back to before I downloaded the other TFC, and then have a go in the pre-restore mode, and see if it doesn't BLOCK the site, then it may prove that the TFC 3.1.1 is doing things that it shouldn't do; or that is, TFC 3.1.1 is doing the right job and has deleted something that was stopping my virus programme from blocking sites that it should have been blocking.

Interesting, as there are always two sides to a story.

Thanks and Best Regards

Edited by Wopsie, 02 March 2012 - 09:32 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

it will prove that the TFC 3.1.1 is doing things that it shouldn't do.

I will have to disagree with you on that, the download site is used many times a day by many users without issue.

Joe

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It is a false positive, and I will notify admin about it in the morning. We sometimes get flagged because the antimalware tools we host are mistakenly flagged as malicious, and we have to contact the company in question and get the block removed. I assure you our site and that download are safe.

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

It is a false positive, and I will notify admin about it in the morning. We sometimes get flagged because the antimalware tools we host are mistakenly flagged as malicious, and we have to contact the company in question and get the block removed. I assure you our site and that download are safe.

Hi Sari,

That's good that you will get in touch with Trend, as I have already send an email to Trend Support bringing it to their attention, mainly to see if it's a mistake.

As you said there might be a mistaken flag, but my wariness and cautiousness is just being expressed in good faith, and I need to know that I am are going to a friendly site. I double-checked it all when I first received a warning, and each time I went via other sites to the download site, Trend advised me that the site was dangerous.

Being a user of my antivirus server and they say "Not to go there", then "I don't go there" until I am certain.

Well, I am pleased that your site is safe, but one needs to be certain after receiving a warning. After all I was warned not to use Ccleaner as a "REGISTRY" cleaner, because it could do damage. Do you agree with that advice?

Best Regards
Wopsie

Edited by Wopsie, 02 March 2012 - 11:41 PM.

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

it will prove that the TFC 3.1.1 is doing things that it shouldn't do.

I will have to disagree with you on that, the download site is used many times a day by many users without issue.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I am now confused, as I am talking about TFC 3.1.1 not about your TFC by Old Timer, because I haven't downloaded that one yet as I can't get onto the download site. I appears that I didn't explain myself well enough for you to understand what I was saying.

What I was saying is:

If I go back to last RESTORE point before I downloaded TFC 3.1.1, then go to your site and it OPENS, then there could be a possibility that the TFC 3.1.1 may have manipulated my computer to do that.

Now, if that isn't possible, then there is no skin off my nose, but I will have experience something more that I will help me to gain further computer skills and knowledge.

Now, does that sound reasonable to you now?

Best Regards
Wopsie

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Yes. That sounds very reasonable to me. Sari also clarified some things for me that I was unaware of such as, contacting the company about the issue. It's a constant learning adventure for me as well.

Thank you for using Geeks to go!
sincerely,
Joe :)

Edited by zep516, 03 March 2012 - 12:26 AM.

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Joe,

I have also come across were Trend may block a site that has content that they don't like that could be political. One of my friends had shown me that, but not only Trend, but other big virus programme companies.

Regards
Wopsie

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi Wopsi,

I find that somewhat interesting. I'd like to make my own decisions on that sort of thing, more importantly have control over my own computer. I don't care for the big Anti Virus suites either, like Trend Micro, Norton, McAfee, to name a few. There big, bulky, and offer things I don't need, they also can be difficult to fully understand when setting them up. I use a very simple free Anti Virus from Microsoft on a Windows 7 computer and like it.

Joe

Edited by zep516, 03 March 2012 - 11:38 AM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Hi Joe,

I have also come across were Trend may block a site that has content that they don't like that could be political. One of my friends had shown me that, but not only Trend, but other big virus programme companies.

Regards
Wopsie

Antivirus companies will block sites based on potentially dangerous content. They're screening for downloads or malicious code. If you've seen sites blocked that contain political content, it is far more likely that they're being blocked due to code or downloads, not the actual content of the site.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This happens enough that we've created a topic with information on reporting false positives: http://www.geekstogo...curity-vendors/

I've reported it to Trend, and expect it will be fixed within the next 24 hours.

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yep Joe,

I've found this Trend programme very bulky and most other programmes that I've used. I have trialed a few free ones, but I did have problems with them. I'm still using XP and the Defender was hopeless. I tried SAS and there were problems, then I tried AVG, and so on and so on.

I fixed in with Trend for another two years.

Isn't it amazing how all of this has transpired as I my original OP was about after using TFC 3.1.1 they deleted thousand of temp files, but it also brought to attention in the Ccleaner REGISTRY fix items. I have been keeping the registry clean, but when I ended up with all those entries from Temp File cleanup I was confused, and desperate for advice. I guess the best thing is to leave the Registry alone.

Regards

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Sari,

I've found these sites have been blocked by some antivirus servers on political grounds and not just any malicious content. I had a Christian friend who said a specific antivirus server blocked the site because of religious reasons. Anyway, it should be sorted out after my tech spt email I sent them a few days ago, and now that your admin has got into the picture it should be sorted out.

Regards

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

This happens enough that we've created a topic with information on reporting false positives: http://www.geekstogo...curity-vendors/

I've reported it to Trend, and expect it will be fixed within the next 24 hours.

That's good, I guess they will have a wakeup call, and it will all be sorted out, uncless my virus programme has been manipulated by another source stopping me from accessing the site.

Regards