Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Temp Files Cleaner 3.1

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Hi Sari,

I've found these sites have been blocked by some antivirus servers on political grounds and not just any malicious content. I had a Christian friend who said a specific antivirus server blocked the site because of religious reasons. Anyway, it should be sorted out after my tech spt email I sent them a few days ago, and now that your admin has got into the picture it should be sorted out.

Regards

I would be very surprised to see this. The common and popular antivirus programs use heuristics, analysis, etc. They are not looking at the actual content, i.e., the actual words, they're looking for downloads, etc., as I said before. The typical message will say that it's been blocked due to the content, but that typically means something dangerous that the AV program is scanning for. It's quite possible that a legitimate site was compromised - that happens far too often, when malware finds a vulnerability on a website and infects it. Unless an antivirus program was somehow manipulated by a government entity, I doubt that the AV company itself would build in that kind of restriction.

Advertisements

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Sari,

Oh well, we won't really know, but Trend came back and still said it was dangerous, I then went to Trend's saftey site and I found that the site has been UNTESTED. So the tech who answered my email and said it was DANGEROUS got a serve from me and told them to check it out and don't ever feed me rubbish again. I then complained to the safety site, and they are now investigating.

Fair dinkum, some little tech in a big organisation feeds people rubbish believing they are gullible.

And the make matters worse he stated all this dribble about that I don't need a Temp File Cleaner, and went on describing me all the boring and labourious actions that I know and everyone else knows, such as MS Clean Up function, and going to TEMP files and deleting the temp files. Once again the tech got a serve off me.

Take care.
Regards

Edited by Wopsie, 04 March 2012 - 03:53 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Wopsie,

As a random follow up to the comments about Trend Micro using resources, through my work we sell only Trend Micro security software. Initially I hated it but over time I have really come to like Trend Micro Smart Surfing, this is the antivirus only version and doesn't have the firewall or other unnecessary features that most people don't even use. Overall I think it's quite light on system resources and it's the only one I will sell to someone with a low-powered computer (like a really old computer or a netbook). You can check out the different versions here:

http://www.trendmicr...ison/index.html

On the right is the Smart Surfing and you can see it's much cheaper also (that link is $AUD). As previously mentioned in this topic there are other security programs including free ones which work well. But if you are partial to keeping Trend Micro (you are familiar with the interface, know how to contact support easily etc) I recommend you should give this one a go, or at least a trial of it.

Just some food for thought anyway.

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Troy,

Live in the same area as you do. :thumbsup:

I've actually locked myself into Trend for a couple of years as I received a special deal on the Max Titanium. I've found that it's very heavy, and I believe it's much of my problem.

I didn't realise that I could get away with only using that particular programme you suggested. I was introduced to Trend about four years ago, and have been a bit disappointed with it lately. I was powering Norton and another server previously that had a large power usage. I now find Max Titanium much the same as those past servers.

Thanks for your suggestion, and I guess I'll have to persevere with it. :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Not necessarily. Just because you have paid for it doesn't mean you have to keep putting up with it. You can uninstall it anytime you like, install a trial of just the Smart Surfing, then put your subscription of Maximum back on once the trial expires (or not if you find your problems are been relieved of duty).

In fact with my status as a reseller I have inside contacts... I could probably make a few queries if you like. See if it's possibly they'll downgrade the license for you or something, I don't see really why not. In fact I'm going to make a general enquiry now anyway and see if they could consider it, even on a case-by-case basis or something. Could be interesting.

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Troy,

Thanks for that. I have been using Trend IS for 3 users, but they offered me a special just before Christmas and I purchased the Max Titanium Premium service for two years, which actually gives me 5 users, but I am only using 3. I was led to believe that you need the firewall? So basically, you are saying that a firewall isn't needed? But, I do realise that I have more than what I need, and could be part-and-parcel why I am having so much problem with surfing and my Hotmail account.

Regards

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

Meaning that the Windows Firewall (built-in to the operating system) suffices nicely and can be configured with advanced settings if needed.

Either way this is what my support manager said:

If the enduser upgraded to Maximum security online, they can get a refund within 30 days. So they can then just renew their Smart Surfing.

Which I think is a load of rubbish, if you've purchased a license you should be able to use a version with less features in lieu. But it's their software product, not mine.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Been working with someone at Trend. Finally getting somewhere. Just got this reply.

Thank you for the feedback.

Finally I was able to reproduce this issue. We are currently working on it and will send you an update shortly.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
At least you're getting further than me :)

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Troy,

Thanks for that.

I've found that Trend support is a farce, and I have only found that out when I've used my supposed "Premium" service, and all it gives me is a after hours number to ring, and then you get fobbed OFF, as in the case you did.

I received a reply from their support and was it full of rubbish. I replied and got stuck into them, and ripped their supposed technical advice apart. They are a mob of gooses.

I have to suffer the excessive power usage for another two years, and then I will throw caution to the wind.

I got rid of Defender on my Win XP, as I had no confidence in it.

By the way Trend had the site registered as "UNTESTED" and if that is so then how in world can they say it's "DANGEROUS"?

Regards

Advertisements

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well there you are Admin, you have got somewhere! :thumbsup:

But I didn't! :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This false positive has been resolved. Thanks again for the report.

Access to the given URL was found to have been falsely blocked by Trend Micro Web Reputation Service (WRS).

This is now fixed and users of WRS are able to access this URL as normal and expected.

You may double check rating of the URL at the following location:

- http://sitesafety.trendmicro.com

We do apologize for any inconvenience this caused to your organization and our common customers.

We sincerely hope we have addressed your concern. Do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any further concern or question.

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

This false positive has been resolved. Thanks again for the report.

Access to the given URL was found to have been falsely blocked by Trend Micro Web Reputation Service (WRS).

This is now fixed and users of WRS are able to access this URL as normal and expected.

You may double check rating of the URL at the following location:

- http://sitesafety.trendmicro.com

We do apologize for any inconvenience this caused to your organization and our common customers.

We sincerely hope we have addressed your concern. Do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any further concern or question.

Well done admin, now I haven't a clue what this OP is about. I can't remember if I received my answer. Anyway, I will go a read my original OP.

Regards

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
In regards to your original post, TFC does not remove any registry entries, or updates. It simply and effectively removes temp files, and only temp files.

For example, CCleaner was recently deleting the Microsoft Security Essentials log file. This would sometimes prevent real-time protection from starting. It's my understanding this has since been corrected. While TFC only targets system files identified in temporary locations, CCleaner can in some cases be too aggressive removing things, like log files. We don't recommend the registry cleaning option in CCleaner, as we don't recommend ANY registry cleaners.

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thank Admin,

A lot has gone on since my original posting, and I'll just ignore the registry fix entries. This TFC 3.1.1 seems to really get to the root of things, and it all seems to be in regards to old uninstall stuff of MS. I am still confused when there are so many programmes out stating that if your computor is slow, then the registry needs to be cleaned down. Anyway, I will heed your advice, and just keep away from it, but this TFC 3.1.1 fills the registry up with a lot of rubbish.

Thanks again, I hope the other rubbish is sorted out with Trend. I had no success from their support, and I've paid good money for their programme and so-called premium support.

Regards