Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Temp Files Cleaner 3.1

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I don't know anything about TFC 3.1.1... Stick with TFC by OldTimer. It's the temp file cleaner we endorse and recommend.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I don't know anything about TFC 3.1.1... Stick with TFC by OldTimer. It's the temp file cleaner we endorse and recommend.

I do and I couldn't agree more! Temp File Cleaner 3.1.1 I find to be undesirable to the extreme. It is a program developed by Justin Murray and published by Addpc.LLC

Upon installing the software, if you are not observant, the software will add the Temp File Cleaner DB Toolbar and change your default search engine and home page.

Also, if you have saved any important files within the areas that it scans they will be deleted. They include this warning in their EULA. Could be why you had 4,000+ files that were removed when you utilized the software to cleanse your temp files.

Many have mistaken this software for Temp File Cleaner (TFC) by Old Timer because the names are the same. If OT has a patent on TFC he could demand they change the name.

Edited by DonnaB, 12 March 2012 - 05:30 AM.

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Donna and Admin,

Thanks for information.

I have uninstalled TFC 3.1, as I have been having different problems after each cleaning.

I thought that maybe I could restore my computer back prior to downloading the programme, but I forgot to note the date. Is there anyway I can find out within my computer when I orginally downloaded that programme even though it has now been uninstalled?

Thanks again with best regards

Edited by Wopsie, 15 March 2012 - 07:31 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I don't know if this helps, but you started this topic on March 2nd. Did you start it shortly after downloading the program?

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks Sari, as soon as I "logged out", the "idiot" sign flashed above me reminding me that I started the OP on the 2nd March.

I noted that when I went to "system restore" to see if I could restore the system to the 2nd March, and I found that the latest restore point was the day before (15th), which was highlighted and there were no other restore points prior to the 15th were available.

Strange that there were no other restore points before the 15th, as I assumed that restore points are still available, and I am now wondering if they have been tampered with. I should be able to go at least four days prior to last "restore point". I haven't removed the "restore points", any idea what could have happened?

Regards

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Wopsie,

What Operating System (OS) is installed on the computer in question? XP is a bit different than Vista/Win7. Knowing which OS we are working with will make it easier to guide you properly.

:)

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi DonnaB,

Using WIN XP, and as well, the computer has become slower than what it was before. I downloaded TFC 3.1.1 on the premise that it would remove all garbage and improve speed. Now I am worse off for wear.

Regards

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Wopsie,

Check Disk space usage in System Properties to see how much disk space is allocated for System Restore Points. I have 16 points that are in bold that I can restore back to on my XP and the Disk space to use on the slider is set for 6% (4180mb). Yours may be set for less which is why you can't go back before the 15th.

Unfortunately, XP does not display the created/modified date in the programs list as Vista/Win7 does. The only other way I know to check for when the program was installed would be further in depth scans that this forum does not allow to be used outside the Security forum and for good reason, too! They are to be utilized by the experts who are trained to use them.

Have you installed TFC by OldTimer as admin has suggested above?

I fear that the reason that your computer has become slow after the use of the "imposter" TFC by Justin Murray could be due to files that may have been removed that shouldn't have been.

I see in your initial post that you mentioned using the registry cleaner in Ccleaner. Sari is correct. We advise not to use this or any registry cleaner as there have been reports of them clearing out needed registry entries and messing up PCs. In addition, what they do clean up is so small that little or no advantages are noticed.

Modifying registry keys incorrectly can cause Windows instability, or make Windows unbootable. No registry cleaner is completely safe and the potential is ever present to cause more problems than they claim to fix.

Registry cleaners cannot distinguish between good and bad. If you run a registry cleaner, it will delete all those keys which are obsolete and sitting idle; but in reality, those keys may well be needed by some programs or windows at a later time.

The cleaner option in Ccleaner is fine to use. I use it myself before I use TFC by OldTimer.

In which manner is your computer slower now than prior to install of Temp File Cleaner by Justin Murray? Slow to boot? Slow to open programs, etc.?

Edited by DonnaB, 16 March 2012 - 09:39 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
When was the last time you ran a defrag?

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks Donna I'll just have to perservere and Troy I did a defrag a month ago and am thinking of doing another. I have Auslogics downloaded, so what is your views of this programme and any suggestions of a better free degfrag?

Regards

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I have Auslogics downloaded, so what is your views of this programme

My personal opinion? Excellent program! Use it myself.

Use Ccleaner before TFC by OldTimer. Then use the Disk cleanup tool found in your System Tools on your computer, then defrag.

Rule of thumb:

If you are an average user of a computer (meaning you use it for Internet stuff, email and the like), a once-per-month defrag should be fine. If you're a heavy user (meaning you use it eight hours per day for work) probably once every two weeks. Anytime your disk is more than 10% fragmented, you should defragment it. That'll also help to speed up the computer.

Anytime you have questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 20 March 2012 - 08:13 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Other techs here recommend Auslogics but I personally just use JkDefrag. It was superseded a long time ago but you can't beat it for sheer simplicity. It does a great job.

EDIT: By all means, if Auslogics is working fine for you then keep using that of course. ;)

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Donna and Troy,

Will be doing a defrag tonight in Safe Mode.

By the way, how would I find out some information on a Asus Notebook PRO 50N. I don't use wireless and I uninstalled all the applications for wireless usage, as I couldn't find a turn "OFF" switch for the wireless mode on the computer. Over the past few years I have been suffering a sensitivity to EMR and EMF, and I purchased a metre, and I discovered that even though I have uninstalled all that stuff, then transmitter is still transmitting, as my new metre tells me so. As there is no switch "OFF" switch, I am wondering if the wireless facilty is a "card", and if the "card" is removed then goodbye my suffering and the wireless mode.

Any thoughts?

Regards

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Wopsie,

Try pressing the Fn + F2 simultaneously on your keyboard.

Let us know if that does the trick.

Edit:

Here's the manual for the Asus Notebook PRO 50N if needed.

You can also find information on how to reduce the effects of sensitivity to EMR and EMF just by doing a web search using the terms How do I reduce sensitivity to EMR and EMF.

Edited by DonnaB, 20 March 2012 - 07:14 AM.

Wopsie

Wopsie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks Donna,

I have solvedf the problem, you wouldn't credit it there is an extremely small, black on/off switch down the side of the notebook, impossible to see, and I found it by pure accident as I was turning the notebook over to find the S/N. It was HIDDEN, and I guess it was turned ON unknowingly. SO for the past four years I have been bombarded with extreme EMR, 12-35 milliwatts-watts squared, no wonder I am suffering from ES. This output is WORSE than mobile and DECT phones.

Regards