Now for a question...When I realized that my computer had major problems, I started doing research to figure out how to fix the problems, prevent future problems, etc. As with weverything on the WWW, some good and much bad. So I put my skeptics eyeglasses on, and still ended up installing one piece of malware while trying to fix my problems! Fortunatley I found you cats!
My goal now is twofold. First, I want to ensure that I have done everything that I can to prevent future problems. Second, I want to learn more so that I can be more proactive in helping become part of the solution.
To prevent future issues I have done the following:
1. I have sworn off MS Internet Explorer. I now use Firefox, which I consider to be a far superior browser and from what I undersatnd is far more secure. Is this true? Are there disadvantages to this product?
2. Install and frequently update a good virus program. My choice was NOD32. It is set to update at every reboot. Good choice? Bad choice?
3. Never use MS Outlook as my mail client. This is something that I have been doing for a couple of years so that I can lessen my chance of contributing to the spread of viruses.
4. Install good spyware detection, prevention, and removal programs. I now use Spybot for scanning/removal and SpyWareBlastr for prevention. Are these good choices? Are there other that I should consider?
5. Use a firewall. I am currently just using the XP firewall. Is this sufficient, are there other programs that I should consider.
Now the BIG question...What am I forgetting?
Finally, what are the best resourses out there is I am interested in leaning more so that someday I can have the hope of helping out others as I have been helped here.
Thanks again for all of your help!