Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Converting Time To Fractions

• Please log in to reply

Michael Clarke

Michael Clarke

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I am doing a study and i need to convert swimming times into fractions for it to then be entered into SPSS. For example i need to convert 9 minutes 32 seconds. 54 tenths and hundreths. so i need to convert 09:32.54 into a fraction. I have looked through excel to convert cells, format them but still cannot find what im looking for! Can anybody please point me in the right direction.

Cheers Mike

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hi Mike and welcome to geeks to go!

There is one vital piece of information missing: the denominator of the fraction. For our purposes here, I'll just guess the result will be fractions of hours. Here's a formula that should work, assuming you just have the times entered in Excel as you listed in your post (we'll assume the time value is in A1):
=MINUTE(A1)/60+SECOND(A1)/3600

So you'd have another column with this formula and just fill it down for your data. With this formula, I get the following for a time of 09:32.54 - 0.159166667

Please let me know if this is what you are looking for or if you need more assistance.

Regards,

Ax