Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

POwer cuts out during reboot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

xoscarx

xoscarx

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi there,

I have a Toshiba Satellite running XP

I was using it when I saw the battery light was on and when I went to check to make sure the plug was in it shut down before I touched anything. (I don't think the problem is a poor connection)

I started it up to a black screen that said it stopped responding , restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down. It gives me the option of starting in safe mode, in safe mode with networking, in safe mode with command prompt, starting normally, or using the last good configuration.

If I choose "normally" or "last configuration" it starts windows then the power cuts out and it restarts the computer again going to the same screen. If I safe mode in scrolls through some files but the power cuts off again.

Help!

I'm not sure if this is relevant but this computer hasn't been connected to the internet in 6 years or so. But the AT&T person who came to hook up the internet plugged it into this computer while I was out of the room. I came back and it seemed to only be on the Google Homepage. I immediately unconnected it. I'm not sure if it was able to catch a virus in that time. The security updates are several years old. And this happened a day or two later.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Oscar

*****I posted this before but the thread just stopped, so I'm trying it again****

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It is with respect NOT really correct for you to end your post with the message

*****I posted this before but the thread just stopped, so I'm trying it again****

as that tends to suggest to people browsing the site that WE just left you.

That of course is not really correct , as on your previous thread on this issue here
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1
you posted on 30 August

I haven't been able to take care of it yet. I've been pretty busy with a lot of things. Thanks for your patience. This Recover Console CD looks helpful. I will let you know in the next couple days how it's going.

]

and I replied the same day

No problem will wait for your response etc.

THEN the next post by YOU was on 15 Sept. when you said

Still here. It's proving difficult to find a computer I can download and burn stuff with. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I can.

Thanks again for your help and patience.

AND the next time you posted was on 10 October

Ok, so I finally was able to get to a computer I could use to download and the link stopped working.

which YES I did miss as by then, your topic had been erased from my list of notifications., due to the legth of time involved.

AS an aside issue I have just checked the link and it is still live and working.

and to resume, as was said before your first task is to see if you can from the RC boot it and see if it finds a windows installation.
Basically the problem, whatever it is, has been caused by leaving a computer FOR SIX YEARS and then suddenly expecting all to WORK perfectly.
SIX years of updates alone would throw the system into total confusion.

AND if it is SIX years since it was used, as against just six years since it was connected to the internet, then there is every possibility that the failure to boot in any mode, is due to a fault developing in the electronics, namely a capacitor, diode etc
being powered for the first time in years,
STANDING unused for that length is NOT good for these components.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Closing this topic for duplication. Please direct all replies to the other topic as Macboatmaster has suggested above. If you have further questions regarding the closing of this topic please pm me and I will explain further.