Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Checking for Consistency

• Please log in to reply

mdel1214

mdel1214

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I turn my computer on a message pops up saying that the file system is NTFS and that it's checking for consistency on the C: drive.
I saw other entries where people have been told to:
Click Start, then Run (Search In Vista)
Type cmd, and click Ok
At the prompt in the command window that opens, type fsutil dirty query ?: and press Enter (Where ? is the letter of the drive to queried)

I've tried this, but it won't let me because it says that I'm not an administrator, even though I'm the only account on the computer, and I am the administrator. The prompt window just says Users/user.

Is there anything i can do to change it?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello and welcome to geeks to go!

You can run cmd as an administrator with one slight adjustment to what you have above. Hit the Windows key, type cmd, and press Ctrl-Shift-Enter. You should get a security prompt, but then the command prompt will be opened as an administrator. Continue with the instructions as you have above and it should work.

Regards,

Ax