Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to set Vista Parental Controls for one user account

• Please log in to reply

crybaby

crybaby

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Hello trusted G2G guys!
I am having issues setting the Parental Controls for one user account. All other user accounts work just fine, and can be accessed to make necessary changes. When trying to set controls for my son's account, I get the message "Unable to make changes to Parental Control settings. If this problem persists, please see your system administrator."
The account I work from is an admin account. I have tried deleting the problem account, and recreating it; I have tried creating a new admin account to work from, and nothing seems to work. I have also installed Microsoft Fix It Center, and searched their site extensively. I'm sure I should have just come here in the first place! ;)
Any help you could offer regarding this situation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. Parental Controls can ONLY be applied to a standard user account that is PASSWORD protected.

2. It can also only be applied to a Standard user accoujt, not one on which the permissions have been altered, but I think you have covered that by the creation of the new account

3. Try in Safe Mode.

4. Try with system admin account.
that will have to be enabled.

type
cmd
in search box
right click the cmd at the top of the window, click Run as administrator
when cmd window opens
type
net user administrator /active:yes
(Note spacing please)

key enter
type exit
key enter
reboot enter system admin account and try

unless YOU have set a password for the system admin account there is NOT one.
DO NOT forget to disable it the cmd is the same but NO instead of YES

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Hello, and thank you for your response! I have tried all of your suggestions, though the problem still persists. The account is a standard user account, and is password protected. When trying to alleviate the issue via safe mode, there was no Parental Control option available in the User Accounts menu. Is there anything else I can try? I am not totally comfortable giving my son full access to the computer at this time, and would really like to resolve this issue. Thank you again for all your help!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
Permissions Analysis

AccessEnum get it here

Supported Systems: Windows XP and up

This tool provides a quick and easy way to see what users have what permissions to files, folders and registry keys. If you find a permission that needs to be changed, you can right-click the item from within the program and view its properties.

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Thanks Happyrock, I am sure this will be a handy tool in the future. Unfortunately, it didn't resolve the issue I am experiencing. :(

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I know you said you tried my suggestions, but did you try logging in to the system account.
AND have you tried creating a new user account - general user and then if on that account you can set parental controls, you can then move the required
docs and settings etc from your existing sons account to the new one for your son.

Full article on User Account Controls and Parental Permissions.
http://technet.micro...y/cc507861.aspx
I would try, if you have already tried the system admin account, which has, as default FULL permissions for everything, following the advice in this article and set them on the NEW user account you create - following the advice in the article on Parental Controls

The other possibility is and I mention it with apologies if it upsets you - how much does your son know about computers - has he been into the system account and altered settings so that you cannot now set permissions on HIS account

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
How do I log in to the system account? Yes, I tried creating a new account to set up parental controls, but I still got the same message. No offense taken. Teenagers can be sneaky! I am positive that my son has not altered the settings on his account. He's not that savvy with computers. :P I will read the article and follow it's suggestions as you have instructed, and let you know if I still experience the issue at hand. Thanks again for all that you are doing to help! I really appreciate it!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

How do I log in to the system account?

as per my post two, simply type that cmd on an elevated cmd prompt.
You should receive confirmation
When you then reboot you should have your admin log on and the account Administrator
and unless you have set one that account does not require a password.

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Hi there. I have read the article per your instructions, and followed along as best I could. I'm still having no luck applying parental controls to my son's account. In the meantime, I am experiencing another issue. This morning, I rebooted the pc to install updates (avast! and Windows), and now MY account is nothing more than a purple screen! What is that?! I am currently using another user account to access the internet. As far as I can tell, everything is fine with this account (I haven't checked the others yet). Any suggestions? Should I post this issue in another forum? My account is the main account used for this pc, and it is crucial that I have access to it very soon. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all that you are doing for me!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Normally this is caused by an error in the graphics driver, particularly the WDDM driver - Windows Display Driver Model however that cause usually effects ALL accounts of course.

In view of the fact that you say it has only effected yours try this
In Windows Vista, right click an open area on the desktop, then select the “Personalize” and “Windows Color and Appearances” menu options., select “Open classic appearance” then choose ”Windows Classic” under “Color Schemes” then click the “Apply” and “Ok” menu buttons.

DID you at anytime receive on screen messages - pop ups warning you that a security scan was necessary. - prior to the reboot and the purple screen.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
A colleague of mine happyrock has suggested this.
IN RESPECT of the parental controls.
HOWEVER your more clearly URGENT consideration is of course I realise the purple screen

Go Control Panel, Admin tools,services

scroll to the service
WPCSvc

Double click to open that entry and check the start configuration.
The service needs to be running to set parental controls

On the top of the window you will see the dependencies tab.
Click this and it will list two kinds of dependencies.
ONE showing services that are dependant on this and the other showing services on WHICH THIS one depends.

The lisiting of services on which WPCSvc depends is the one to take note of.
If the start type of the service is disabled then you have found the problem - YOU may then wish to consider WHO disabled it.
Set Automatic
Now below that drop box for start type are the buttons START and STOP
Try and start the WPCSvc service
If it will not start then go back and examine the dependencies as previously described.
which are
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
DCOM Server Process Launcher

These must also be started before WPCSvc can be

Re You may then wish to consider who disabled it you might also consider enabling the built-in Administrator account and give it a strong password. This will help prevent them from bypassing the Parental Controls.

That of course was the account I asked you to access on the cmd

net user administrator /active:yes

Make sure that all other administrator accounts also have a good password.

As mentioned above my acknowledgement to my colleague happyrock

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
OK, The purple screen issue is resolved! :happy:
As for the next set of instructions, I am having difficulty locating the WPCSvc. There is nothing in the list that has this name. Could it be possible that it is under another name? Maybe something not abbreviated? I've looked through the entire list several times, read and re-read each services name, and I simply cannot find it. :blush:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try Parental Controls please - is that listed please and what is start setting
Automatic, Manual or disabled.

How did you solve the purple screen?

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Hi. Sorry for the delay. It was a very busy week/weekend!
Yes, Parental Controls was listed, and is set to Automatic.
As for the purple screen, I guess it just resolved itself! One minute it was there, and then the next login attempt, it was gone! I don't know what it was, or why it happened. Everything is running a bit sluggishly, but is functional. I will be running a few scans later in the day to make sure I didn't pick up a nasty virus at some point. :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If your scans find evidence of infection, as against the usual report of tracking cookies etc that you may always expect with something like Super Anti Spyware, then you would be best advised to go to our Malware forum on this link here and follow carefully please the advice in the link.
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

You cannot rely on any tool you have available to remove all traces of an infection.

There has however to date, not been any reason to refer you there before your mention in your last post of the sluggish performance etc.
If you do go to that link and post please provide in your post in Malware a link to this topic here, so that my colleague in Malware may see easily waht has occurred on this topic.

If you find no evidence to suggest that your concern has any foundation then please continue here for the time being and forward me URL of the results of Pitstop.
Run this please and send me the results

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pCPitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed. HOWEVER may I ask that you DO NOT then proceed until I have had a look.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

PLEASE DO NOT RUN ANY other tests on offer