Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a New Computer

• Please log in to reply

ShowMe

ShowMe

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hello, Sorry if this is not the right forum, but I couldn't figure out which one to go to. If wrong, please direct me to the correct one. I am going to buy a new computer - a fantastic deal on an Acer with a lot of memory, and it has Windows 7 on it, so that's why I'm here. My old computer is a Dell Dimension 8250 from 2003 with XP.

I bought an external drive and backed up documents and photos on that. It has a lot of memory left since the drive has a larger memory than my computer has.

My question is: is it legal and possible to transfer programs I purchased from the old computer to the new computer if I delete them from the old computer? For example, Photoshop. Photoshop has a limit of 2 computers and I already have that on my laptop.
The same for my antivirus program (ESET) and malware program (Malwarebytes). Microsoft Picture It, too.

My other issues would be how to transfer all my Passwords from Firefox to the new computer, as well as all my addresses from Outlook Express. And any other items I am not aware of.

Also, when done how to wipe my computer clean from all personal data.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Advertisements

Cotutor

Cotutor

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
Ok, as for legality, you can transfer license on the antivirus and programs as long as you are removing the first instance from the old computer, in other words as long as you remove the antivirus from the old computer you are legal to use it on the new one. Same with photoshop, you have to remove it from the old one before installing on the new one.
As for transferring, you can't transfer the software, just the data that you create, you have to uninstall from the old system, then reinstall on the new one.
The passwords, won't transfer, you will have to do that manually.
The addresses from Outlook Express can be transferred. Just open OE and go the >file menu, >export address book, then you want to select comma seperated value (csv) you will need to select a location and name the file, this will put your email addresses into a file that can be imported on the new computer.
The new computer running Windows 7, will not have Outlook Express, you will have to change to Windows Mail, which is a free download, after installing that, you can go to >file >import and import the file you created on the old computer.
When you are done, I am not really up on the programs available for wiping the drive, I use one that was given to me by a SSA tech for wiping SSA computers, since this meets DOD specs, I don't use anything else. I would suggest that you do a search for secure erase programs and be sure to read the reviews before using one.