Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CenturyLink "Webhelper" has hijacked Firefox

• Please log in to reply

periwinkle

periwinkle

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Whenever I typed in a page with partial information, such as "paypal" in Firefox's URL box, it used to be that Firefox used smart technology to take me to the Paypal page without having to add on .com. Now, if I type in "paypal" or anything that is not the full URL, CenturyLink (my ISP) Webhelper hijacks my browser and pretends to try to help me, but I never set up this page to help me. My default was Google.

I did some searching on how to fix this on Google and there was a suggestion to click "disable this service" at the bottom of this Webhelper page. After I click disable and save, and check by typing a partial address, the same Webhelper page shows up and when I click to disable it again, I see the setting is enabled again!!! This makes me think one thing: hijacking! I also tried clicking on the "why am I here" link at the top of the page and opting out, but that also changes nothing.

When I type another partial page to see what will happen, I get the same obnoxious "webhelper" page that I never set up as a default for "page not found", and the settings I just changed to disable the page are once again showing enabled.

I recently reset my home page again because CenturyLink webhelper had taken over that as well.

This is not happening with Chrome, which I also use and prefer at this point because of this problem with Firefox.

Attached Thumbnails

• CenturyLink Website Preferences.jpg
  • CenturyLink Webhelper Page.jpg

Advertisements

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I've found my solution, thanks to this blogger! :thumbsup: http://www.elleranda...try.php?bid=115

She had the exact solution I needed!!