Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Enable Onboard Sound for MS-7037 (12/23/2004-Springdale-G-6A79AM4VC-00

• Please log in to reply

Stephen Luisi

Stephen Luisi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'd like to enable my on-board sound \ audio device so as to remove the PCI sound-card that's taking up valuable PCI Slot space.

This system is already only rated as 1.6 on the Windows Experience Rating
So its not going to be missed much. but i would like to retain the functionality if at-all possible.

Issue is Im not sure if its as simple as enabling an option in the bios or if it involves downloading the appropriate drivers for this chip-set?

any way

(AIDA32 © 1995-2004 Tamas Miklos) seems to think I have".."

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 12/23/2004-Springdale-G-6A79AM4VC-00
Motherboard Name Unknown

But between the PCI Slots it shows MS-7037!

anyone have any thoughts!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Issue is Im not sure if its as simple as enabling an option in the bios or if it involves downloading the appropriate drivers for this chip-set?

The answer is MOST LIKELY -YES - it is that simple
In the BIOS setup and the post screen will tell you which key is used to access the BIOS
probably but not always F2 or Delete

In there, usuallly you click the entry Enable Onboard sound and the drop box will usually provide the options of YES or NO - Enabled or Disabled,
You then SAVE and exit - normally F10, but it will tell you.

Then with the speaker mini jack connected to the I/O plate, you test the sound.
It is very unlikely that you will need any additional drivers.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

The answer is MOST LIKELY -YES - it is that simple

I am afraid I am not as optimistic as my teammate. While I believe it is that simple to enable the on-board sound, the problem is, that does not tell Windows to use that device. So I suspect you will have to uninstall the old drivers, physically remove the old device, then power up and install the new drivers to tell Windows which device to use. It may be somewhat automated if Windows detects the new (old integrated) device and loads default drivers for you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I AGREE with my colleague Digerati.

Indeed he is more knowlegable than I am.

I'd like to enable my on-board sound \ audio device so as to remove the PCI sound-card that's taking up valuable PCI Slot space.

When you have done as above, in your quoted post, and following the advice from Digerati and myself if it does not work
This I think is your motherboard and the audio driver is on the downloads
http://www.msi.com/p.....iver&os=XP 32

I believe it is that board
Motherboard ID 05/11/2004-Springdale-G-6A79AM4VC-00
Motherboard Name MSI 865PEM3-ILS (MS-7037)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Indeed he is more knowlegable than I am.

Thanks but we all have our areas of expertise - slivers in that whole pie called "IT". Still, I usually know things because I've scratched my head on the same problem before.