Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Uninstall Office

• Please log in to reply

shiprek

shiprek

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Last year I upgraded my Gateway PC hard drive to 80Mb. I transferred the data on the old drive to the new using the manufacturer’s (Western Digital) drive to drive imaging utility. All worked well except MS Office 2000 SR1. Whenever I open excel or word the installer box pops up telling me that the feature I am trying to use is on a CD or removable disk and to install the MS Office CD. On inserting the disk the installer box opens and an error message comes up that the installation package is not available.

If I close the error messages as they appear on opening either word or excel, the application opens as normal but the office assistant is missing. I have put up with this way of opening word and excel for months now but I would really like to fix the problem. Powerpoint and Access open without difficulty.

I have tried to uninstall MS Office but was unable. On trying uninstall, the Installer box opens with the same message as above (insert MS Office CD).

I think the only way to uninstall now is to delete the application from the program folder and delete registry entries. I am not sure what registry entries need to be deleted. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

shiprek

shiprek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Problem Solved.
Ran MS Windows Installer Clean Up to remove MS Office registery entries. Deleted all files from Program folder except MSOHEV.dll which would not delete. Reinstalled Office 2000 SR1. All running perfectly.

Shiprek